Scroll Work On Cake ( How To..help Please )

Decorating By Kandis Updated 4 Oct 2010 , 4:23am by Evoir

Kandis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kandis Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 10:48am
post #1 of 11

My Niece wants a pink 2 layer cake with black scrolling. Is there some way to learn this technique? I have searched everywhere and can't find anything. Does everyone do this freehand or are there patterns somewhere that work well? Can someone give me some direction please!!!
Thank you in advance for your ideas!
Kandis

10 replies
yums Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yums Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 11:31am
post #2 of 11

Wilton makes patterns, you can find at any hobby store or walmart. You can also make your own. But they can be a pain because you have to be very precise with your piping or you will see the impression. Make sure your icing is thin enough or your hand will hurt. I see that some people use RI but I have always used BC. I think it works better for more me if I can do it in one quick motion.

LaurenLuLu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaurenLuLu Posted 25 Sep 2010 , 12:28pm
post #3 of 11

You can buy a set of plastic scrollwork designs that you press into the side of your cake and trace the imprint in icing. They look almost like a cookie cutter and are inexpensive.

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 25 Sep 2010 , 12:43pm
post #4 of 11

Another alternative if you are using fondant is to freehand a scrolly design using a fine paintbrush and black liquid food colouring. I have a cake in my photos in which I did this in purple colour on white fondant for a wedding cake. HTH!

Moondance Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Moondance Posted 25 Sep 2010 , 8:17pm
post #5 of 11

Fabulous cakes Evoir icon_smile.gif

Scarlets-Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Scarlets-Cakes Posted 25 Sep 2010 , 8:34pm
post #6 of 11

I practiced on wax paper before I did the middle layer of the following cake. Then I just went for it on delivery day. Was my first time. I used royal icing. The thing about scroll work is that it's random, so there's no real way to screw up the "pattern". I was way stressed about it, but I think it turned out ok. My customer (in-laws) loved it.

Scarlets-Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Scarlets-Cakes Posted 25 Sep 2010 , 8:36pm
post #7 of 11

It wouldn't let me add my picture, so here's the link:

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1803770

Sassy74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassy74 Posted 25 Sep 2010 , 8:36pm
post #8 of 11

I recently did one, and it was actually easier than I thought.

I used black RI on white fondant. I wanted a symmetrical design, so I divided my cake into the number of sections I wanted and piped my design in each section freehand. It did help A LOT to practice several times in the days prior to get a good idea of what consistency my RI needed to be, and how much pressure, when to release, etc. I just piped my RI onto a plastic cutting board and scraped it off when I needed to.

I was afraid that if I used any type of impression, you'd see it if I didn't pipe EXACTLY on top of the lines.

FatAndHappy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FatAndHappy Posted 25 Sep 2010 , 8:43pm
post #9 of 11

If you are doing it on fondant - you can use an edible marker to make the design then pipe on top of it. The marker will wipe off with a damp paper towel or wet paint brush. Practice, practice, practice. I hated it at first now I love it! I find it fun and relaxing! It took me 2 hours to the fine piping to match an invitation on the pink and red cake in my photos but it was worth it!!

Kandis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kandis Posted 1 Oct 2010 , 2:16am
post #10 of 11

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. She wants buttercream frosting..
I have been practicing on my cake dummies. Free hand.. I have 2 weeks to get this right. Of course the stores here are out of the Wilton decorator presses. I did draw a design on paper and thought I might try doing piping gel transfer or try to do it with a toothpick. I wouldn't be so worried except I know with black on pink there is no room for error!!! :0
Thanks again and any other suggestions I am listening!!
Kandis

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 4:23am
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moondance

Fabulous cakes Evoir icon_smile.gif

Thank you so much icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%