Carrot Cake Covered In Fondant?!?!?

Decorating By hickety883 Updated 24 Sep 2010 , 7:41pm by Aimomo26

hickety883 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hickety883 Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 4:47am
post #1 of 7

Customer has specifically asked for Carrot cake covered in fondant for her moms 50th BD. I have not done this in combo before, and am worried about the taste?

Any one have any ideas or suggestions....also looking for what Icould pair it with for a filling as well.....

6 replies
Jack031 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jack031 Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 7:09am
post #2 of 7

I have done carrot cake with fondant before. I use Fondarific by the way because the fondant brand does matter because every fondant tastes different but I used the normal vanilla Fondarific fondant with the carrot cake. Then for the icing I used cream cheese for the crumb coat and for the filling then in the filling I added some pecans to it. After that I treated it like any other cake covered in fondant and it worked out perfectly. Everyone loved the taste of the carrot cake with the fondant on it. So I hope this helps!

Corrie76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Corrie76 Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 7:33am
post #3 of 7

another great filling to try with carrot cake is apricot filling....I know it sounds a little strange but its a good combo. And I would do as Jack suggests- crumb coat in cream cheese icing and then vanilla fondant. BTW I have one time experimented with adding candy flavoring to fondant to alter the flavor to taste more like cream cheese and it just tasted like chemicals- DISGUSTING, do not try! good luck, I'm sure it will turn out just fine!

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 12:39pm
post #4 of 7

I have done it and it was fine too. Just like any other cake covered in fondant. You can use a vanilla BC or a cream cheese filling and crumb coat. I use Rhonda's ultimate MMF because I think it's by far the best tasting MMF. If you don't like MMF, Michelle Foster's fondant is awesome!

hickety883 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hickety883 Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 5:01pm
post #5 of 7

Thanks guys!! Glad to hear it was an okay combo when other tried it. I do use Marshmallow fondant, and was thinking about putting the cream cheese icing under it. Thanks again!

Jack031 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jack031 Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 5:23pm
post #6 of 7

No problem anytime! Remember take pics and post them so we can see!

Aimomo26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aimomo26 Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 7:41pm
post #7 of 7

I know this is an old post - but a lot of times I fill my cake with cream cheese filling so you still get the same taste

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%