Pumpkin Flavor Extract

Baking By MerrySunshine Updated 3 Oct 2010 , 7:04pm by bonniebakes

MerrySunshine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MerrySunshine Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 2:18am
post #1 of 9

My friend wants pumpkin flavoring in the icing for her cookies. Using royal icing and probably Toba's glaze...

Will any flavoring that *isn't* an essential oil be okay? Like an extract?

The ingredients that I have found are artificial flavors with propylene glycol & water.

Will those be okay to add, or am I going to have to deal with separation?

Thanks!

8 replies
CookieMeister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieMeister Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 2:00pm
post #2 of 9

Not sure if Lorann has a pumpkin flavor or not. But if they do - they are not true oils so you can still use them in Glace or RI.

Another thing you might want to try is Torani syrup. They have a pumpkin spice one that I use in my lattes all the time that is yummy! And they're made with natural flavorings, pure cane sugar and purified water.

bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 8:49pm
post #3 of 9

yes, as long as it isn't actually a fat-based ingredient, it should be fine to use in RI.

Lorann does have a pumpkin flavor one, and so does Spices Etc. (they have a lot of natural flavorings that are really wonderful!).

emiyeric Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emiyeric Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 9:07pm
post #4 of 9

I was incredibly excited about the Lorann's pumpkin last year, but was sorely disappointed ... waaaayyyyy too strong, even with small amounts, and it had a cloying scent/taste ... maybe it had already "turned" and that was the issue, but it's not really an oil to begin with, so I'm not sure. At any rate, if there are other options, I'd go with something that's not quite so unproven in my book icon_wink.gif.

TracyLH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyLH Posted 26 Sep 2010 , 4:37pm
post #5 of 9

I used the Spices Etc. Pumpkin Pie Spice last year on a pumpkin pie cookie and it was a HUGE hit! thumbs_up.gif Everyone raved over it. PM me if you would like for me to send you a first time order discount code.

westbrook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
westbrook Posted 2 Oct 2010 , 4:55pm
post #6 of 9

I ordered 8 oz of pumpkin flavoring from http://www.faeriesfinest.com/C107.html and used it in some left over icing I had last year.

I liked it. It had a hint of pumpkin flavoring. I plan on using it this year on some kind of spice cookie. I want to use the leaf and acorn cutters.

I had also thought about flavoring the NFSC with the pumpkin extract flavoring too. Divide and flavor! <smile>

I can always tell if they are good or not by how fast they disappear. Kids are good for at least one thing.... taste testing!

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 2 Oct 2010 , 11:13pm
post #7 of 9

I bought a bottle of the Lorann a week ago. I used it in cookie and in Royal Icing this week. In the cookies, it wasn't very noticable. In the icing, it was way too strong. I'd love to have someone give me an exact amount to put in because, obviously, on my own I'm not doing too well. icon_smile.gif

momma28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momma28 Posted 2 Oct 2010 , 11:32pm
post #8 of 9

When I use premade flavorings I will only use amoretti. They are by far the highest quality and dont have an artificial flavor.

bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 3 Oct 2010 , 7:04pm
post #9 of 9

The Spices, Etc. ones are great. They have a wide selection of natural flavorings.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%