Sheet Cake Trouble

Decorating By bayoubelle Updated 24 Sep 2010 , 2:20am by LogansMommie

bayoubelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bayoubelle Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 8:01pm
post #1 of 6

Made a 2 layer 12"x18" sheet cake, when I went to put 2nd layer on top of 1st, the cake started breaking. icon_sad.gif Can someone please share with me an easy way to do this without the cake falling apart? Thanks

5 replies
AnotherCreation Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnotherCreation Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 8:20pm
post #2 of 6

I use a cake board and put one end of the top layer on top of the bottom layer and ease the board out the other end little by little. I hope this makes sense. I'm sure someone will have a better explanation. icon_smile.gif

VentureSister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VentureSister Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 8:27pm
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherCreation

I use a cake board and put one end of the top layer on top of the bottom layer and ease the board out the other end little by little. I hope this makes sense. I'm sure someone will have a better explanation. icon_smile.gif

I do the same thing except I put it in the freezer for a bit to make it a bit firmer when I slide it over.

Bethkay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bethkay Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 12:49am
post #4 of 6

I cut my sheets in half (so they are basically quarter-sheets) and place them side by side. The seam in the middle seals up with buttercream and the smaller cakes are much less likely to break. thumbs_up.gif

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 1:03am
post #5 of 6

I do the same as AnotherCreation and VentureSister, but I bought a giant sideless cookie sheet just for this purpose. I spray it lightly with non-stick spray, then wipe most of that off, to reduce the icky taste. The I just put the sheet cake layer on it and gently slide it off onto the bottom layer.

I've used Bethkay's tip in the past too.

LogansMommie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LogansMommie Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 2:20am
post #6 of 6

I have two Wilton cake lifters and love them, but generally just end up using one with my hand supporting the other side of the sheet cake. I match up the 2nd tier on one side and lightly drop it while removing my hand, then just carefully slip out the cake lifter for the other side - Voila! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%