How Much Cake Mix For Wilton Giant Cupcake Pan?

Decorating By CakeyKerry Updated 23 Sep 2010 , 5:03pm by CakeyKerry

CakeyKerry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeyKerry Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 12:48pm
post #1 of 4

Hi - I need to make a giant cupcake for my daughter's birthday party this weekend (we're having a cupcake party!) I want to use my own recipe but don't know what size cake mix to use (7", 8" etc) does anyone know?

Also, I've seen people use candy melts for the cup section of the cake but I'm having trouble finding them in time. Can I use melted chocolate? How do I do it? (Eeek, I'm starting to panic!)

Thank you for your help!

3 replies
bakincakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakincakin Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 1:11pm
post #2 of 4

When I did mine, I used a doctored cake mix and filled each pan about 1/2 full. It used the full cake mix. And also, I just used white chocolate chips and tinted them pick and painted the bottom pan. Worked like a charm.

Hope that helps.

tmac670 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmac670 Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 1:11pm
post #3 of 4

Fill the pan up with water to the level that you would fill it up with cake mix- then measure the water. Standard box mixes make about 4-5 cups of batter.

Yes, you can use melted chocolate. I am not big on making chocolates- so I imagine some one with more experience should answer the 'how to'. I would just pour in the chocolate, let it sit for a bit and then pour out the excess. Or maybe brush melted chocolate on in layers until it is thick enough to hold it's shape.

CakeyKerry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeyKerry Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 5:03pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks guys! I should probably have mentioned that I make my own chocolate mud cake from scratch icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%