How Much?

Decorating By Newatdecorating Updated 23 Sep 2010 , 3:27pm by CWR41

Newatdecorating Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Newatdecorating Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 9:23pm
post #1 of 7

I am wanting other opinions regarding pricing of this cake. It was two 8-inch layers, buttercream icing and 35 royal roses. Do you think $50 is too much to ask?

6 replies
BillieH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BillieH Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 9:51pm
post #2 of 7

Depending which serving chart you use...If you used Wiltons Wedding serving guide a 2 layer 8 in cake would yield 25 servings. That's a 1 in X 2 in slice. That equals to $2 a serving. I think $2 a serving is probably the average rate. (here in no wheresville, not sure on your location) However I do not sell cakes, so I really don't know if I've helped at all. Hopefully someone more qualified will come along and share their input. icon_smile.gif

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 10:56pm
post #3 of 7

BillieH said it just fine. In some areas, $2 per serving is the norm, while other areas $3.50 per serving could be a more customary minimum. There are areas that can also charge through the roof between $7 - $14 per serving... it's all relative to your location and what others are willing to pay for your creations.

Newatdecorating Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Newatdecorating Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 12:01pm
post #4 of 7

With something like this, do you charge extra for the roses?

CWR41 Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 1:38pm
post #5 of 7

I don't think you should charge extra for BC or RI roses.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 3:07pm
post #6 of 7

How much does it cost you to do it? How many time is involved? How much is your time worth? And how much profit do you want to make?

Those are things you need to ask yourself when pricing.

I wouldn't charge extra for the royal or buttercream roses. They really don't take that long, and chances are with that many you aren't going to have to spend alot of extra time on other decorations.

CWR41 Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 3:27pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

They really don't take that long, and chances are with that many you aren't going to have to spend alot of extra time on other decorations.

Exactly. If you're charging for a decorated cake, it should be included. Afterall, what else would they get if it didn't have basic decorating on it? (Otherwise, it would be a plain iced cake and it would cost a lot less.) I think you should only charge extra for more time-consuming options like gumpaste flowers, figures, extreme piping, etc.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%