2Nd Try - Need Help With Cake Structure

Decorating By fruitsnack Updated 23 Sep 2010 , 1:58pm by cakeandpartygirl

fruitsnack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fruitsnack Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 5:48pm
post #1 of 9

I posted before on this, but only got one reply. I am going to be making my son a Lego rock monster cake for his birthday. He wants the cake to look like this - the complete toy, standing up:

http://www.firestartoys.com/Shop/LEGO-Mini-Figures/Power-Miners-LEGO-Figures/3047-LEGO-Power-Miners-Mini-Figure-~-Rock-Monster-~-Combustrix.html

So far, I think I'm going to be making the legs out of PVC supports, then wrapping with rice krispie treats or modeling chocolate. Then, I will put another base on top of that for the body / head.

On the toy, the top portion of the head is movable, and he wants the head portion of the cake to be tilted back a bit to show that it's "open".

I'm trying to figure out how to do the structure for the arms and how to make the head tilt back a bit without the cake falling off.

Can anyone offer any help?

8 replies
cakelady31 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady31 Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 6:07pm
post #2 of 9

Wow! That's a very ambitious project!! I would say sorry son, but the head will not be tilted . Maybe do the arms with pvc covered in cereal treats and well. Good Luck and please post pics when you are done.

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 6:47pm
post #3 of 9

OMG - I'm with cakelady31 icon_lol.gif . Take a look at Bronwen Weber's Man Stand sold at Caljava

http://www.caljavaonline.com/cakestudy1-bman-lg.htm

I have this stand and have made several standing figures after taking her class. You can create a similar set-up with goodies from the plumbing aisle of Home Depot or Lowe's and use a styrofoam ball for the head from a craft store - the angle you attach the head to the neck can give you a tilt. I have found that candy clay is a better base for the legs, arms and shoulders than RKT, especially in warmer temperatures. Bronwen said that, but I had to see for myself icon_redface.gif . The details on your project are daunting lol - keep us posted!

fruitsnack Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 12:40am
post #4 of 9

You guys are making me nervous! Has anyone else done a standing thing like this?

If I use a "skeleton like that, how do you put the cake around it? How would you serve it? Am I overthinking this?

fruitsnack Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 12:42am
post #5 of 9

You guys are making me nervous! Has anyone else done a standing thing like this?

If I use a "skeleton like that, how do you put the cake around it? How would you serve it? Am I overthinking this?

fruitsnack Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 12:42am
post #6 of 9

fruitsnack Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 1:21pm
post #7 of 9

Apparently so nervous that I posted the same thing three times. icon_smile.gif Anyway, has anyone else done anything like this?

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 1:57pm
post #8 of 9

I watched an episode of ace of cakes and he had done a figure with his mouth open. If I remember correctly the structure that he made was with 2 pieces of wood but the were coming together like this (>) I don't remember how else he did it but I hope that gives you a start

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%