Very Concerned About A Travelling Cake...

Decorating By Sassy74 Updated 22 Sep 2010 , 4:02pm by grahamc

Sassy74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassy74 Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 3:13pm
post #1 of 6

So a friend has asked me to do a baby shower cake, and I'd love to do it. BUT...I have a couple of issues with it that I'm hoping y'all can help with.

My main concern is the fact that the cake has to travel about 80 miles through S Louisiana. It will be a 3 tier cake, covered in fondant and scrollwork, with a gumpaste bow topper. The last time I travelled with a stacked/dowelled 3-tier, it was a DISASTER with a capital D. The roads were under construction and even driving like 3 mph, the cracks in the cake were terminal. I DO NOT want to repeat that experience lol !

There's no way I'll send this cake out of here without COMPLETE assurance that it'll arrive in pristine condition, and I'm not carting it down there myself to assemble on site.

SO...I've never tried SPS because I'm just a hobby baker and can't budget this expense for give-away cakes. Will SPS help here? How can SPS help if the roads aren't so good? I know many of you do large cakes, and they travel stacked. How do you insure they make it there without cracks, sliding tiers, etc?

By the way, sorry if I'm asking a question that's been asked a hundred times. I did a search, but I never know exactly how to word things so that I don't get a thousand random threads. Thanks, y'all!

5 replies
mrscunningham Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrscunningham Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 3:27pm
post #2 of 6

Can you stack it when you get there?

Sassy74 Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 3:34pm
post #3 of 6

I have no plans to travel down there and set up the cake, so it has to leave my house assembled and ready to set in place.

I know many of y'all who do wedding cakes and/or large tiered cakes send them out fully assembled. So what's the trick lol ???

2kiddos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2kiddos Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 3:43pm
post #4 of 6

I use SPS on all of my tiered cakes, and wouldn't travel without it!
I drive 40 miles, down the fabulous pot hole filled streets in New Orleans and I've never had a problem while using SPS.

It is worth the price of the support system, just for the peace of mind.

Sassy74 Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 3:47pm
post #5 of 6

2kiddos, you're in Slidell? Get out! I'm only about 15 min away from you! This cake has to travel to Lafitte, so I know some of the roads won't be pristine lol .

OK...the million dollar question is, "WOULD YOU send this cake out of your house, with someone else, stacked on SPS and feel confident that it would make it?"

grahamc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grahamc Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 4:02pm
post #6 of 6

I traveled 4 hours over bumpy country roads with a 4 tier cake using SPS. (It's the SFA Graduation cake in my photos) It made it there just fine. Whoever is driving yours still needs to be carefull, but I think it will make it there with no problems.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%