It's Been A Very Long Time (A Bit Long)

Decorating By Bethkay Updated 22 Sep 2010 , 10:10pm by adventuregal

Bethkay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bethkay Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 12:17pm
post #1 of 7

Since I had a complaint of any sort, but of course, it can't be smooth sailing all of the time! I delivered a Star Wars-themed cake Sunday for a child's 3rd birthday. The family seemed happy with the cake and I went on to my next delivery.

Fast forward 48 hours later and I find an email from the child's father asking for a partial refund. According to Dad, out of 30 people at the party, not a one liked the taste or texture of the cake, and they threw it away!

I promptly and politely responded to him. I told him that I never want unhappy customers, but without the uneaten portion of the cake, I could not issue him a refund, because it was basically his word against mine. I explained that I taste all cakes before they leave my kitchen, and that his cake was no exception. I would not have sent a cake out that didn't meet my standards.

I explained that scratch cakes do have a different texture than cakes from the supermarket or those that are made from a cake mix, and that perhaps this was the trouble spot.

He wrote back saying that they really didn't want a refund icon_confused.gif but just wanted to let me know (again) that no one liked the cake. He was very polite, and said he understood how I would need to test the uneaten portion myself in order to issue a refund. SO, I think I am done with this. I'm not happy, I know I have lost any future business from them, but I am not out any money. Unfortunately, his wife was NOT done with me.

I later find a scathing letter from her telling me (yet again) that no one liked my cake, AND that I didn't cover it in buttercream icon_eek.gif as she requested. (I most certainly did). She closed the letter by saying she was going to dig the cake out of the trash and bring it to me!! I did not respond to her. As Indydebi says, when they start adding complaints on complaints, you can be fairly sure it is not legit. But I have been a bit concerned she is going to show up at my door with moldy cake she pulled from the garbage!

Thanks for listening. I already feel better thumbs_up.gif

6 replies
sullymel13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sullymel13 Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 12:37pm
post #2 of 7

Just wanted to say that I'm sorry they were so mean! Hopefully she won't bring the moldy cake over! (At least you could prove that it was in buttercream!)

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 12:47pm
post #3 of 7

People will find anything to complain about....and by not saying you covered it in BC shows her ignorance and lack of knowledge proves it right there....If she shows up...grab the cake and slam the door...They are just wanting a refund because they spent too much!

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 1:13pm
post #4 of 7

How did the customer find out about you? Referral? Tasted/saw at another event. Somewhere before all this mess bubbled up they had reason to have confidence in your work. If they ordered based on someone's experience, I'd sure like to talk to them and see if wifey has a history of being a psycho!!

You better believe if I found something SO bad that no one wanted to eat it, I'd have wrapped it up and put it in the freezer to return to the store and show them exactly what I meant.

I find the "we threw it in the trash" to be lame. NO way!!

online_annie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
online_annie Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 1:20pm
post #5 of 7

UGH! I don't envy you right now. But, I feel like you handled it well. I think any further replies on your part would only add fuel to this womans fire. I suggest waiting it out and seeing what she does from here. She might just be looking for a reaction and maybe she'll give up if she doesn't get it. May I suggest a clause in your contract that states: You must be contact within 24 hours of delivery with any problems. And perhaps include any refunds will be subject to the return of remaining uneated cake. Just a thought. Hope your day gets better!

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 2:33pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kansaslaura

How did the customer find out about you? Referral? Tasted/saw at another event. Somewhere before all this mess bubbled up they had reason to have confidence in your work. If they ordered based on someone's experience, I'd sure like to talk to them and see if wifey has a history of being a psycho!!

You better believe if I found something SO bad that no one wanted to eat it, I'd have wrapped it up and put it in the freezer to return to the store and show them exactly what I meant.

I find the "we threw it in the trash" to be lame. NO way!!

Exactly! My birthday cake that my sister bought from a very reputible bakery in Houston was inedible. We all cut a slice took a bite and replaced all uneaten slices back in place. My sister returned the next day with the cake, the manager tasted it and agreed the cake was not to their usual standard and returned the money in full and offered my sister a replacement cake. My sister declined since I live 200 miles away from where whe purchased the cake, and she picked up the cake right before she left to come to my party so the cake was only a few hours from completion when we ate it. But the customer service was great, why? Because we knew as customers how to deal with the situation. If we had thrown the cake away, she wouldn't have had a leg to stand on. When a customer pulls antics such as this it generally is buyers remorse, if the product is substandard wouldn't you honestly want show the provider proof that the product was not good so they had no way to rebute your claim?

adventuregal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adventuregal Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 10:10pm
post #7 of 7

wow icon_eek.gif
I don't know how people can get so stressed about these things-I would have a heart attack if I were that high strung! I definitely understand that theres a difference between scratch and doctored mixes, but thats a tough spot because it's not like any of us say on our sites that theres is a difference and which we use. I personally don't like scratch cakes most of the time and would probably not be used to it after eating doctored cakes my whole life. On the other hand you sound like you have had alot of success so I'm sure your cake is amazing. They should assume responsibility for going with a scratch baker when their tastes were more acclimated to some thing else because there is a loyal following to both!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%