Help! Having Knee Surgery

Lounge By Darth_Aerdna Updated 25 Sep 2010 , 7:40am by Echooo3

Darth_Aerdna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Darth_Aerdna Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 3:00pm
post #1 of 7

Hello Everyone,
Just found out that I have tore the ACL and medial meniscus in my right knee, which will require surgery. I am currently on crutches and in a knee brace.
Here is the problem- I have a wedding cake for a friend due on Oct. 2nd. Three tier with gumpaste fall leaves.
It is too late to back out - I could never do that to her!

I am planning on breaking everything down as much as possible. Baking ahead and freezing, making different color leaves each night. I think I can still do everything it just takes more time.

Just looking for words of advice and encouragement!

Thanks

6 replies
ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 4:33pm
post #2 of 7

how close is the surgery to the wedding, i know how you feel, i tore a ligament in my knee and was in a brace, but i've been in and out of the hospital this summer with allergies, they are popping like crazy in mighigan, so i've been on so many steroids i don't have the pain, even though i've been off them for a while, maybe it won't start up again but i doubt it, did they say how intense the surgery is, my friend had a ligament repaired and he said he was only off his feet 1 day, nothing like knee replacement, I don't see why you can't do it, sounds like you're going about it in the right way, and will just have to frost and decorate, take breaks, and sit as much as you can while decorating, you can do it.

Darth_Aerdna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Darth_Aerdna Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 5:38pm
post #3 of 7

They have not scheduled the surgery yet. Hopefully will find out soon.
My BF has offered to help. that could be good or bad!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 6:27pm
post #4 of 7

I had to have 9 pins and a plate put into my lower leg...I'm not sure how that compares to the surgery you have to have. I felt worse after the surgery than I did when I had my c-sections. I couldn't do anything but vomit, take pain pills, and cry for about a week. After that, I was on pain meds for three months.

I was able to bake and decorate cakes, but it's hard to cover them in fondant when you can't stand up. You'll definitely need help to deliver the cake. You may need help getting the cake into and out of the oven, if you can't stand without the crutches, or if your knee wants to give out when you bend over.

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 7:04pm
post #5 of 7

my sister had knee surgery last month, she was off her leg for about two days, then was limping around, but was able to stand off and on for a few hours. Maybe if you do everything ahead of time, you can sit down for the decorating part.

Good luck with the surgery.

cakemaker2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemaker2 Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 3:58pm
post #6 of 7

Don't know if you will be able to bend your knee, but when my husband had ankle surgery, I bought him one of those "shop stools" with rolling wheels on them. You can adjust the height and lay your shin on it and scoot around, like that is your leg, without putting any weight on it. HTH

Echooo3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Echooo3 Posted 25 Sep 2010 , 7:40am
post #7 of 7

You can do it in baby steps. I currently have something going on with my knee since February. Finally got insurance so I had an MRI done on Friday, will find out what the doc says on Monday.

Anyway, plan ahead as much as possible, get help, freeze cakes, make icing, get bags/tips ready. I have two weddings next week. Cakes frozen, icing made, decorations ready (pearls/flowers).

I sit at the table with everything I need, and my friend washes dishes as needed, brings things to the table as I need them and actually is "my" legs while I sit at the table.

You can do it. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%