Put Sugar Crystals On The Sides Of My Cake?

Decorating By paula0712 Updated 21 Sep 2010 , 6:03pm by paula0712

paula0712 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paula0712 Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 4:05am
post #1 of 6

I want to make a tiered cake that is covered with sugar crystals and after I cover it in fondant I know that I have to paint the sides and tops of my cakes with thinned icing gel, but I cannot for the life of me figure out the easiest, least messiest way to put the sugar on the sides. Anyone have any suggestions? Also, in one of my Wilton books there is a cake that consists of a 14" bottom tier, then a 10" tier resting on push in pillars that have been hidden with gumpaste blocks, then resting on the 10" cake is the stand up teddy bear... how in the world did they transfer the bear without messing up the icing, and how did they hide the separator plate that the bear is sitting on? Sorry I'm having a total brain freeze today... and I need to know so that I can deliver this cake and assemble it at the shower. Thanks everyone!

5 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 4:17am
post #2 of 6

Honestly, the best way to do the sugar crystal cake is to use a buttercream iced cake. Before it crusts, just use your hand and sort of roll the sugar on bottom to top. Have you ever put chopped nuts on the side of a cake?

paula0712 Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 12:51pm
post #3 of 6

lol, nope. I thought that that is what you did, but I just thought that there might be an easier, non messy way. Thank you Leah!

Shannon1129 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shannon1129 Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 12:51pm
post #4 of 6

Would the gel work ok for fondant? I am wanting to try this technique as well. The entire cake is fondant though.

tigerhawk83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tigerhawk83 Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 2:32pm
post #5 of 6

I do the sugar crystals on the Nordic Ware build a bear cake - and I use piping gel or corn syrup painted on to stick the sugar. I also used piping gel on crusted buttercream to fill in a baseball diamond on a birthday cake once (this picture is posted in the galleries). I used the demerara sugar - it's kind of a light brown color.

paula0712 Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 6:03pm
post #6 of 6

Shannon - I'm going by what the instructions in my Wilton book say. It must work because that's what they say to do.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%