The Perfect Cupcake?

Baking By Jack031 Updated 10 Oct 2010 , 8:31pm by litlecuchi

Jack031 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jack031 Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 3:57am
post #1 of 19

Ok, I need some help due to the fact that I rarely do cupcakes for anyone but I need to make some.... Thus, I was wondering how to get the perfect "dome" shape to the cupcakes while getting them to all be the same size... Lastly, how to cover the cupcake in fondant..... As you can tell I have no clue what I am doing with these cupcakes icon_lol.gif

18 replies
Nusi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nusi Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 8:11am
post #2 of 19

not all cupcake recipies will dome.. wat type of cupcakes are you planning to make?
the size is a simple issue. u can use an ice cream scooper to scoop batter into the cupcake liners.
covering in fondant can be done by first brushing the cupcake with melted apricot jam or frosting it with buttercream. then use a cookie cutter to cut a circle a litte bigger than the cupcake to cover the top the apricot jam or the butter cream will get it to stick

Shannon1129 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shannon1129 Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 12:54pm
post #3 of 19

I also use an ice cream scooper to portion when I'm making cupcakes. I just delivered 200 of them yesterday and I think there were only 3 that seemed to bake out of proportion. icon_smile.gif

Jack031 Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 1:30pm
post #4 of 19

I plan on using the WASC cake recipe to make the cupcakes and I have no clue yet how I am going to decorate them :p

KayMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 1:54pm
post #5 of 19

Just a thought: if you're looking for the "PERFECT" cupcake, shouldn't it have luscious buttercream frosting on top? Most people don't like to eat fondant, so putting that on top of the cupcake will probably make it undesirable to most people. I agree it'll look cool, but it won't be tasty.

multilayered Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
multilayered Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 2:05pm
post #6 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayMc

Just a thought: if you're looking for the "PERFECT" cupcake, shouldn't it have luscious buttercream frosting on top? Most people don't like to eat fondant, so putting that on top of the cupcake will probably make it undesirable to most people. I agree it'll look cool, but it won't be tasty.

I have to agree. With my cakes I always decorate with fondant, but for my cupcakes it's buttercream all the way. Maybe a fondant accent would be nice, tying in the theme.

leafO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leafO Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 2:19pm
post #7 of 19

If you're looking for the nice smooth finish of fondant but great taste, you could dip the cupcakes in warmed icing or white chocolate ganache. It gives a very pretty smooth look like fondant but is less work and tastes better, imo icon_smile.gif

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 2:46pm
post #8 of 19

To get the perfect DOME on your cupcake - preheat the oven to 400 degrees, and as soon as you put the pan into the oven, turn the heat down to 325. It is the initial burst of heat that makes that dome!

If you don't want the DOME, just bake at 325.

Jack031 Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 6:08pm
post #9 of 19

Thanks Loucinda for the dome tip! I will have to try that out..... leafo could you please explain the warm icing or the white ganache technique please....

leafO Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 7:02pm
post #10 of 19

To dip the cupcakes: place some buttercreme icing in a bowl and heat gently(about 10 -15 seconds at a time stirring in between)in the microwave until it is a smooth/ almost runny pourable consistency. Then dip/swirl the tops of the cupcake in the melted icing and let them set until the icing is cooled.

I like to put my bowl of icing once it's warmed in a larger bowl of warm water so I don't have to reheat it so often. I just have to be careful not to get any water in my icing or chocolate.

The process for ganache it pretty much the same. Mix up some ganache 2 parts chocolate to 1 part heavy cream for dark or milk chocolate. 3:1 ratio for white chocolate. Dip the cupcakes in the ganache while it is warm and then let set it aside and let it cool on the cupcake.

Here is a link to a very nice tutorial that uses melted fondant in the same way. I really like her site. She always makes the directions so clear. They look so pretty!
http://www.cakejournal.com/archives/how-to-cover-cupcakes-with-poured-fondant

Here's another link about domes. http://www.cakejournal.com/archives/cupcake-decorating-part-2

leafO Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 7:12pm
post #11 of 19

If you let the cupcakes cool and then dip them a second time it accentuates the domed look of the cupcake even more icon_smile.gif

ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 9:46pm
post #12 of 19

i do what loucinda said and it works great, but i do fill mine almost to the top, thanks

Lita829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lita829 Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 9:57pm
post #13 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loucinda

To get the perfect DOME on your cupcake - preheat the oven to 400 degrees, and as soon as you put the pan into the oven, turn the heat down to 325. It is the initial burst of heat that makes that dome!

If you don't want the DOME, just bake at 325.

Wow...Interesting! Great tip! Most of my cuppies tend to dome but some recipes do not. I'm gonna try this for those recipes.

Thank you

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 10:01pm
post #14 of 19

I used rolled buttercream recently on some cupcakes that were made to look like softballs. I must say it was quite yummy!

litlecuchi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
litlecuchi Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 10:33pm
post #15 of 19

Thank you guys. Great tips!(:

ILoveDaffodils Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ILoveDaffodils Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 10:59pm
post #16 of 19

I have tried the melted buttercream and ganache and they look and taste great.
Kansaslaura - can you tell me what rolled buttercream is? I like to try things especially when they taste yummy

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 11:03pm
post #17 of 19
ILoveDaffodils Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ILoveDaffodils Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 11:17pm
post #18 of 19

Thanks - can't wait to try it.

litlecuchi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
litlecuchi Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 8:31pm
post #19 of 19

Thanks Kansaslaura I will try this recipe with cupcakes and see how it goes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%