Modeling Chocolate ? Handmade Leaves ?

Decorating By krissyh Updated 21 Sep 2010 , 4:52pm by krissyh

krissyh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krissyh Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 9:37pm
post #1 of 8

What would you recommend as the medium for making leaves (in a tan / light chocolate color) to decorate the top and around the base of a cake (on the cake board). The reception is outdoors in Oct. weather is iffy as far as temp. goes. I am most comfortable working with fondant, but fear it will soften and not hold it's shape. I've never used gum paste and bride wants chocolate ... but OAK shaped leafs... I have made chocolate leaves using Camellia leaves in the past with not problems, but Oak leaves are not recommended for that purpose (and are much thinner and won't work as well besides). Considering modeling chocolate... seems easy enough to use and cut/vein, but will it melt all over the cake if the weather is warm? (probably max temp will be low 80's... MAX). How well do dry modeling chocolate shapes hold up? TIA

7 replies
Charmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charmed Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 1:03am
post #2 of 8

I would do them in gum paste.

deMuralist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deMuralist Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 1:18am
post #3 of 8

the modeling chocolate will not melt at 80 degrees, maybe if it into the 100's.

It also does not firm up though.

Erin3085 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Erin3085 Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 1:35am
post #4 of 8

Can you add tylose to chocolate fondant to make a chocolate gumpaste?

krissyh Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 1:53pm
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by deMuralist

the modeling chocolate will not melt at 80 degrees, maybe if it into the 100's.

It also does not firm up though.

Thanks... I have about a month to practice with these... I am leaning in this direction so they will be edible and chocolate.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 2:52pm
post #6 of 8

Make sure that they are not in the sun at all. They will melt at lower temps if they are in direct light.

Herekittykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Herekittykitty Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 2:57pm
post #7 of 8

I like to mix 50/50 MMF/modeling chocolate. Makes the chocolate a bit firmer and easier to work with. Dries a bit stiffer but due to the chocolte will never get completly firm and is still suseptable to the heat. I have had good results in 80 degree temp with this.

krissyh Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 4:52pm
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herekittykitty

I like to mix 50/50 MMF/modeling chocolate. Makes the chocolate a bit firmer and easier to work with. Dries a bit stiffer but due to the chocolte will never get completly firm and is still suseptable to the heat. I have had good results in 80 degree temp with this.

Thanks-- I will try that, too and see which I like best for this purpose. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%