Traveling With A Cake.

Decorating By QueenJessica Updated 20 Sep 2010 , 9:07pm by costumeczar

QueenJessica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QueenJessica Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 5:17pm
post #1 of 6

I'm hoping some more experienced folks will help me with a problem I'm having. I will soon have to travel 3.5 hours to deliver a wedding cake for a good friend of mine. I'm less concerned about the structural integrity, and more concerned about having it in the back of the car with the sun shining in for that long. What I was hoping to do was assemble on site (not something I would not ideally do), that way each tier would be "protected" in its own box in the car.
Time will be of the essence when I get there so I was hoping to make things quicker when stacking. Any tips/suggestions?
Has anyone ever used separator plates (not SPS icon_sad.gif ) for a stacked cake (pillars hidden)?
I didn't know if Wilton plates could be pushed in flush with the cake, that way I could just move the cake over lickity-split.
Hope this makes since.

5 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 6:52pm
post #2 of 6

I transport cakes in sections all the time, and it never takes more than about 10 minuts to place the tiers on each other and put the borders on. You should be fine unless there's somethng weird about the design that you'll have to do on site.

Mexx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mexx Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 7:35pm
post #3 of 6

I just delivered a cake that was 5 hours away. Keep each tier in a separate box...my car is a hatchback so I made sure that the cover for the back was on to keep the sun off, the a/c on and it was fine when I got there. Just simply stacked them and added my gumpaste flowers on site. No problems. Keep your design simple and try to remember to take all of the equipment you'll need to finish it off.

My cake was covered in fondant so buttercream may behave differently.

Good luck.

Mexx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mexx Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 7:35pm
post #4 of 6

I just delivered a cake that was 5 hours away. Keep each tier in a separate box...my car is a hatchback so I made sure that the cover for the back was on to keep the sun off, the a/c on and it was fine when I got there. Just simply stacked them and added my gumpaste flowers on site. No problems. Keep your design simple and try to remember to take all of the equipment you'll need to finish it off.

My cake was covered in fondant so buttercream may behave differently.

Good luck.

QueenJessica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QueenJessica Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 7:51pm
post #5 of 6

My cake will be a 6-9-12 covered in fondant. I was just wondering (which is why I asked about the plates) if it would be quicker/simpler to push the plates in and have dowels or pillars underneath hidden and just put the cake onto the plate when I get there. I was thinking I could just wrap a small ribbon around to cover the small gap between the plate and the cake below. if needed and call it a day.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 9:07pm
post #6 of 6

Either way would be fine. The ribbon would be a good way to hide the gap between the tiers...Maybe the wilton plates with hidden pillars cut to the height of the tiers would be best, in case there's any settling when the car's vibration hits the tiers.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%