Which Do You Favor...

Decorating By caked4life Updated 21 Sep 2010 , 4:16am by Jack031

caked4life Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caked4life Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 5:08pm
post #1 of 10

decorating in buttercream or fondant? Why?

9 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 6:33pm
post #2 of 10

Depends on what you are doing with it. icon_smile.gif

My family likes buttercream over fondant cakes. But I like doing some things in fondant that you just can't do in buttercream.

bakingpw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingpw Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 9:49pm
post #3 of 10

I prefer buttercream. Not only does it taste better, but it is so easy to work with. I very seldom use fondant.

adventuregal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adventuregal Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 10:50pm
post #4 of 10

I like doing faux fondant-which is making my BC so smooth people think it's fondant until they get really close hehe

debbief Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbief Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 10:55pm
post #5 of 10

I prefer fondant. I actually find buttercream much harder to work with. I decided to do buttercream on my last cake just because I feel like I should be practicing.

It was so difficult to work with. I kept putting nicks and dings in it and had to keep touching up and smoothing. It was driving me nuts!

Fondant is just so much more forgiving. You can touch it and handle it without putting nicks and dings all over it. And it's so easy to make smooth.

I also think fondant is great for keeping a cake nice and moist.

Motorhead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Motorhead Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 12:23am
post #6 of 10

fondant! although i do put a good layer of bc underneath (for the people that don't like fondant) fondant is very forgiving and hides a not so perfect cutting job!!

Stephy42088 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stephy42088 Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 12:30am
post #7 of 10

fondant!! It provides a much better base for the kind of complex decorating that I like! and it's soooo much more forgiving!

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 12:42am
post #8 of 10

Buttercream generally because that's what my customers want, but I do love to play with the fondant!

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 12:46am
post #9 of 10

I learned with buttercream and that's what I have the most success with. Sure, there are somethings that just have to be done with fondant, but I try to keep that at a minimum.

Jack031 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jack031 Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 4:16am
post #10 of 10

Fondant all the way. There is a good layer of buttercream underneath and I use Fondarific so I never get any complaints about the fondant being horrible. Also, you can just do so much more with fondant and gumpaste compared to just buttercream alone in my opinion.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%