Square Footage

Business By salokin Updated 23 Sep 2010 , 3:40am by kansaslaura

salokin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
salokin Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 5:09am
post #1 of 8

I'm looking into buildings that I can use to open a bakery, and am wondering about how big should it be? I'm needing enough space for a kitchen and space upfront for a couple of display cases. Thanks in advance.

7 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 4:47pm
post #2 of 8

Figure how much space you'll need to place the equipment (draw a to-scale floor plan) ..... then double it.

you always need more space than you anticipate. And 3 times as many shelving units. And lots more freezer/refrigerator space. dont' forget office space, restroom facilities, mop sink, etc.

Been there .... done that.

There's no such thing as planning a shop with the idea of "oh just space for an oven and a couple of cases!" thumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 3:35pm
post #3 of 8

I rent space in a catering company and have my own space for decorating. I"m extremely blessed to have it thought it would take a long time to outgrow the space. Ha! I've been there almost a year and need more space. I have 2 6" stainless tables, 3 5-shelf metal shelving racks, a 2 door True brand refrigerator and plus additional counter space and storage under the counter area and use of a freezer. I am out of space for my little business.

I've realized that I need at minimum 2 - 3 refrigerators, a full freezer and more shelving than I have room for. Some of the non-food supplies like boxes, we store alot of our non-food items that we buy in bulk, like boxes, at home because there is no room. I'm always looking for ways to make more storage out of what I have.

I'm looking for commercial space of about 1500 sq. ft but like Deby says, draw it out and add more storage than what you think you'll need.

salokin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
salokin Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 8:40pm
post #4 of 8

Okay thank you. I will get right to that. But just a estimate what would be the minimum amount needed, just so I have a starting point to draw the plan

jillmakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillmakescakes Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 9:28pm
post #5 of 8

I've got 1500 sq ft, and I've already outgrown it (only 2 years in!!!).

it also depends on how your space is laid out. Debi's previous space was about the same size as mine, but her's was longer, where mine was more square. I thought she had more space, and she thought I had more space!!

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 9:49pm
post #6 of 8

Also dont make the mistake of planning front to back. Plan your work space first, and then plan your retail area. You need to be able to do the work and if you put one less case up front, that is ok. A lot of people plan this huge front space and then have no kitchen space!

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 3:20am
post #7 of 8

i'm doing ok in a little over 900 sq ft...i could use more for the decorating room

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 3:40am
post #8 of 8

And... after you lay it out as Debi suggests, show it to an inspector. Nothing worse than getting things in place and have some extra sink pop up...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%