Yippy!precolored Fondant That The Girl @ The Cash Can't Bash

Decorating By cloetzu Updated 20 Sep 2010 , 3:02pm by Sucrea

cloetzu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cloetzu Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 1:58am
post #1 of 10

A few months ago I was VERY pleased to see the arrival of Duff olored fondant at my local Micheals. I think he's hillarious!

In any case, since it was at Micheals it was over priced. I waited until their next 40% coupon came out and then rushed in to get some black and red. They only had black left so I grabbed some. When I went to the cash register to pay the girl there tried to talk me out of buying it! Now that must be a new sales technique that I didn't learn when I went to business school - talking customers out of buying! She stated that the Wilton instructors didn't like it, that it was too hard and not usable. So then I wondered, was this true or were they just against a different brand (in this case Duff's new line). She then went on to basically tell me that they didn't like any of the Duff fondant. Considering i had the coupon I decided to buy it but i have to admit that that was almost 2 months ago and I still haven't cracked it open so can't comment on it's quality or usability. But i'll need it for Halloween so am curious to see how it works.

Because of the girls comments I decided to not buy any other colors and went back to coloring my own fondant - using Virgine Ice for figures/flowers and accents and making MM fondant for covering the cakes. .... it just takes more time and I often dont' have enough time.

So today I went to the local bulk food store where I normally get my Virgin Ice fondant (which only came in white).. and to my surprise they had brought in Ivory, Yellow, Red, Back, Moss Green, Tiffany Blue, Pink and Chocolate! I like Virgin Ice (relative to the others that Micheals sells- Micheals and Walmart are the ONLY other places to get fondant locally) so I didn't hesitate to get one of each color except for black because they were out ;( I am sooooooo excited! I can't wait to use them!

I had planned on making a gift box later this month and wanted a Tiffany blue shade and now I have it - premade! It will be great to have these colors on hand to use when I'm short on time!

9 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 1:03pm
post #2 of 10

Most people aren't reading the INSTRUCTIONS on the Duff fondant, which clearly state to microwave it before use. Then it's not hard any more.

But I won't buy any Duff products ever. I'm not putting $ in his pocket. Especially that many $$.

Kimmers971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimmers971 Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 1:10pm
post #3 of 10

Duff's brand is only Fondarific repackaged with his name and sold at a higher price. In my opinion, it isn't worth the money - coupon or not.

MSLRAC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MSLRAC Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 1:30pm
post #4 of 10

Long time lurker here coming out to speak for just a moment...I can't imagine using Duff's fondant after microwaving it. I was hard as a rock when I took it out of the tub but it quickly became so soft and sticky just from the heat of my hands that it was dang near impossible to work with. I have never had any real issues using MMF, Satin Ice or Wilton's but Duff's was a whole different story. Honestly, had I used his first, I would have probably sworn off fondant forever! I will never buy his again!

texanlostlover Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
texanlostlover Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 1:32pm
post #5 of 10

You've got me curious--I have a Sam's Club membership, but I've never even thought to look for fondant there. Did you find the fondant at Sam's? Or was it Costco? Or some other bulk food place? Where in the store should I look?

cloetzu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cloetzu Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 1:44pm
post #6 of 10

I live on the East coast of Canada and the store I found it in is called Bulk Barn. It has mostly dry goods - nuts, flour, candy, sugar etc.

kristanashley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristanashley Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 2:18pm
post #7 of 10

I used Duff's black fondant on my zebra bridal shower cake and my lingerie corset cake in my pictures. I haven't covered anything with it yet, but it was super easy to use. It rolled out well, was not sticky, and it tasted like a tootsie roll. It was however, way overpriced.

MarianInFL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MarianInFL Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 2:24pm
post #8 of 10

Duff's fondant never hardens. I made basket handles using his chocolate and 50% gumpaste. They dried for 5 days before I attempted to put them on a cake, but they were too soft and wouldn't hold shape. I kept them just to see how long it would take to harden. It's going on 4 weeks, and they are still bendable.

I think the chocolate tastes great. I bought some of his buttercream fondant as well. I haven't used it because every time I take the top off, the smell almost makes me sick. That awful fake butter smell, you know what I mean?

kcjc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kcjc Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 2:37pm
post #9 of 10

I just called my local Sams club. (Cary NC) no fondant but do sell Bettercreme 15 gal $19.00 bucket.
Costco said they sell neither to the public.

I did try the Duff choc fondant. tasted like tootsie roll(40% off )otherwise would not buy it as is way to pricey even with coupon but I was desperate.
Did follow directions and only microwaved 10 sec at a time and found it rolled out nicely but I had so much conf sugar on it I watched the video on site that was listed on pkg and said to spray w/water.then it became very tacky. I thought this was my errror since I did not use corn starch that they stated in video.
Anyway I'm just wishing I could find something local.

Sucrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sucrea Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 3:02pm
post #10 of 10

I bought a tub of Duff's black fondant (the only black available to me locally). I haven't covered anything with it but the couple projects I did use it (50% gumpaste/50% fondant) on didn't harden like I needed it to. I won't buy it again for that reason.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%