Tylose? Gum Paste? Gum Tex? Fondant?

Decorating By wbraswell Updated 29 Sep 2010 , 1:22pm by willow1810

wbraswell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wbraswell Posted 19 Sep 2010 , 9:13pm
post #1 of 8

I am working more with fondant and making characters for my cakes..but I have a question, and I hope it is a simple one....in all of what I have read, I see various wording being used, and what I am trying to determine is this, are they all one and the same, or are they each a separate and different item? and if they are different, how do they work together? what is the best uses for each of them? I am trying to figure out if there is a way for the toppers/characters that I make for my cakes to be permanent.....like if I do one for a sweet 16 cake, have the topper be able to be kept as a keepsake by the birthday girl....is this possible? thanks for helping me with this...

7 replies
bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 19 Sep 2010 , 9:55pm
post #2 of 8

Hi, I make my own gumpaste to make models.

Now, Tylose can be added to fondant and you have to knead it really well and leave it aside. You cannot make things straight away.

I use CMC powder to mix with fondant, which is same as tylose, but once you knead it into fondant, you can use it straight away.

You can keep the things that you make with these as long as you like. But if you make anything with fondant alone, you can't keep them a long time.

Kellbella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellbella Posted 19 Sep 2010 , 10:15pm
post #3 of 8

I love tylose! I use that when I need to make letters, numbers, figures, etc.

wbraswell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wbraswell Posted 19 Sep 2010 , 10:25pm
post #4 of 8

thank you all for your help... thumbs_up.gif now I can start "playing around" with my figurines/characters...

willow1810 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
willow1810 Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 8:36pm
post #5 of 8

How much tylose would you add to the the fondant per pound?

bakencake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakencake Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 8:58pm
post #6 of 8

I didn't know that you had to put aside tylose and gum paste mixture. how long would you recommend?

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 9:28am
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by willow1810

How much tylose would you add to the the fondant per pound?

You have to add 1 teaspoon to 500g of fondant. icon_smile.gif

bakencake, yes, you have to leave the tylose mixed fondant over night to work. If you are using CMC, then you can use it straight away! icon_smile.gif

willow1810 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
willow1810 Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 1:22pm
post #8 of 8

Thank you Bashini, I am going to attempt my first gumpaste figuirine in a couple of days. Woody from toy story. Feeling a lot more confident now. Just hope he turns out ok!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%