Need Help Covering An 18 Inch Round...

Decorating By LuluSweetArt Updated 20 Sep 2010 , 2:56am by LuluSweetArt

LuluSweetArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LuluSweetArt Posted 19 Sep 2010 , 8:44pm
post #1 of 10

HELP! I am trying to cover an 18 inch round cake with fondant, but my counter tops are...shall we say...not what I would want them to be, and I can not seem to get this huge piece of fondant on to the cake without tearing it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you!

9 replies
Kimmers971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimmers971 Posted 19 Sep 2010 , 8:53pm
post #2 of 10

Would it be easier to roll out on your kitchen/dining table? I know my countertop isn't nearly big enough for that job. Also, are you rolling it out on a large mat and flipping it onto the cake? That seems the only way to do it on your own without risking tearing.

Good Luck!

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 19 Sep 2010 , 8:55pm
post #3 of 10

Use an unused broomstick (dowel) or piece of pvc pipe at least 30" long to transfer the fondant. Is you kitchen table large enough to roll out on. You can use a large piece of heavy weight plastic to roll it out on and you may also be able to use this to transfer the fondant to the cake.

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 19 Sep 2010 , 8:56pm
post #4 of 10

How big is your table? Other than roll it up and place at the back of the counter and roll the thicker part and roll as you go. What a nightmare! Let us know what you decided to do and how well it works.

Occther Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Occther Posted 19 Sep 2010 , 9:01pm
post #5 of 10

Before I bought a wider stainless steel work table, I bought a large formica table top from a restaurant supply store (I think it is 30" by 36".) I would put it on top of my dining room table to roll out my fondant. (My dining room table is an old farm house table so the surface isn't smooth.) The top was very convenient because I could slide it back in the closet when I didn't need it. I also discovered that wrapping paper rolls work well to roll the fondant around to lift and roll onto the cake. They are a lot lighter than PVC pipe. I keep one that I have covered with food grade plastic wrap next to my work table.

LuluSweetArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LuluSweetArt Posted 19 Sep 2010 , 9:16pm
post #6 of 10

Hey guys...thanks for all the ideas. My dining room table is nice and smooth, but it has a seam down the center for the butterfly leaf and I don't have a plastic mat to roll it out on....but I will definitely try the wrapping paper roll, that's a great idea! I walked away from it for a while because the language was getting too bad...but I'm about to attack it again. Wish me luck and any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 19 Sep 2010 , 9:25pm
post #7 of 10

The seem on the table will only give you a bit of grief on the UNDERSIDE of the fondant that goes on the cake side. You will not see the seem.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 19 Sep 2010 , 9:26pm
post #8 of 10

If your 18" cake is 4" tall, you'll need at least a 26" diameter fondant circle or 28" for overhang to trim away.

If you roll it out onto a 28" diameter cake circle (dusted with powdered sugar or cornstarch), you'll know when it's big enough and to stop rolling because the circle guide is completely covered. And, you'll know that it isn't sticking because you can shake the cardboard periodically during the rolling process. When you're ready, slide the fondant off the circle directly onto your cake. You won't need to worry about it ripping because you aren't stretching it, and no worries about the dusted bottom surface showing because it's touching the cake.

Of course, you'll have to find which workspace will accommodate the task.

grandmomof1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmomof1 Posted 19 Sep 2010 , 9:45pm
post #9 of 10

As far as a mat goes, go to Walmart or your local fabric or hobby store and buy a piece of the heavyweight vinyl that is used for on tables. You buy it by the yard. It is a thick clear vinyl and only costs a couple of dollars, very inexpensive and great to roll and lift large pieces of fondant.

LuluSweetArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LuluSweetArt Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 2:56am
post #10 of 10

Thanks for all the advice guys...I finally got it to work. The vinyl and the wrapping paper tube worked like a charm! You guys are awesome...thanks again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%