Aldi's Cake Mix

Baking By Jenmarlene Updated 1 Apr 2014 , 12:11am by Dani1081

Jenmarlene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenmarlene Posted 19 Sep 2010 , 3:34pm
post #1 of 22

Has anyone tried Aldi's cake mix? I would like to try it but not so sure..

21 replies
cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 3:22am
post #2 of 22

Yes, I've tried it. It worked and tasted just fine.

Jenmarlene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenmarlene Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 8:21pm
post #3 of 22

thanks, maybe I'll try it.

langranny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
langranny Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 8:30pm
post #4 of 22

It's all I use (unless I need a flavor they don't have). They only carry chocolate, white and yellow. I also use their powdered sugar(don't even have to sift it) , marshmallows (for MM fondant) shortening, sugar, flour, eggs, sour cream, butter, oil, vanilla and pudding to make my cakes. Everyone says they are wonderful. I have been an Aldi shopper for over 30 years and their quality is great. And the prices can't be beat.

trishvanhoozer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trishvanhoozer Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 8:38pm
post #5 of 22

I bought cake mixes from Aldi for one wedding cake and I returned every one of them. They were horrible and it made my experience absolutely stressful and horrible. They were nice about it, and took back every single mix, even the boxes that I had used - they refunded me every penny. I would like to try them again with some docotored cake mix recipes possibly, but won't be doing it on a customer cake until I get it exactly right. I love Aldi, and shop there all the time - their dairy and eggs are perfectly equal to other stores, I haven't tried marshmallows or shortening yet, but have a project for the weekend with RKT and may try their krispies and marshmallows since it is for family.....

trishvanhoozer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trishvanhoozer Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 8:40pm
post #6 of 22

langranny - do you use the directions on the box for the cake or do you use totally different ingredients? Any information would be welcomed as I would love to be able to use the mixes.

asanchez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
asanchez Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 8:44pm
post #7 of 22

Hello everyone.

I am not familiar with Aldi, where do you buy them from?

CakeInfatuation Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeInfatuation Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 8:47pm
post #8 of 22

I use Aldi cake mixes among other things. I love their stuff. Great prices and fantastic quality.

I do not follow the recipe on the box for ANY cake mix. But I have family members that do and they turn out fine.

Tiffany0481 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiffany0481 Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 8:54pm
post #9 of 22

I ONLY go to ALDI for my cake making ingredients! (unless of course I am in a pinch and have to go to the chain grocery stores, which kills me to pay the price) I use their box mixes as a base for my cakes and then add additional flour, sugar ...etc. I have always had raving reviews that my cakes were excellent and very moist.

I also use their mm, shortening, eggs, butter, chocolate chips for my fondant and fillings. I highly recommend Aldi to anyone.

For those of you that aren't familiar, check out their website ... www.aldi.com. They are all over the world!

Plus in the instance that you have a bad experience they do cover their products 100%!!

sav421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sav421 Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 8:54pm
post #10 of 22

Thanks for posting the question - I too shop at Aldi's and have been curous about their cake mix.

Winnie_in_Wi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Winnie_in_Wi Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 8:58pm
post #11 of 22

I don't like the cake mixes from Aldi. I thought them fairly tastless and had a hard time icing the cake.

I agree that the staple stuff from Aldi is fine, milk, eggs, flour, sugar etc are all fine.

langranny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
langranny Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 3:33am
post #12 of 22

I almost always make the WASC cake. I really like Aldi products better than the name brands. Tonight I made some cupcakes with a Betty Crocker mix that I made last time with the Aldi mix. The Aldi batch tasted better. I used the WASC recipe.

I used their white cake mix to make the last two wedding cakes. The only trouble is that during wedding season, it's hard to find. When I asked the clerk why they were out she said it was because cake decorators came in and bought all the white mix...

tigerhawk83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tigerhawk83 Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 3:47pm
post #13 of 22

I too buy all my basics at Aldi's - per pound, things like flour, sugar and powdered sugar are even cheaper than Sam's Club. Unfortunately some "basics" like corn syrup are only sold seasonally for holiday baking.

writersblock15 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
writersblock15 Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 2:00am
post #14 of 22

For those who may not know this, Aldi owns the Trader Joe grocery store chain.

batterbliss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
batterbliss Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 2:12am
post #15 of 22

Aldi's lover here too!!!

Debi2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debi2 Posted 1 Dec 2010 , 4:55pm
post #16 of 22

Love Aldi's too...but I might mention their chocolate chips are gross thumbsdown.gif

Huber1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Huber1 Posted 31 Aug 2013 , 6:34pm
post #17 of 22

Use most Aldi product and have been pleased with everything (including cake mix).  Today I used  an Aldi Angel Food and it turned out fine.  I was bakig extra for our church festival, so I decided to bake an Aldi Chocolate Layer Cake which looked beautiful when I took it out ot the oven.  Five minutes later it started to shrink.  It was in a nine inch pan but soon became an eight inch cake and fell flat.

Very disappointing!!!!!!!!! icon_sad.gif icon_sad.gif  

Huber1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Huber1 Posted 31 Aug 2013 , 7:00pm
post #18 of 22

I buy most of Aldi products and have been pleased each time I shop.  Today I baked an angel food cake useing Aldi mix.  Then I decided to bake an Aldi Chocolate Cake.  When I took it out of the oven, it was beautiful.  After a few minutes, my nine inch layer cake started to shrink to an eight inch cake, then went flat.

Very disappointed!!! icon_sad.gif  icon_sad.gif

spyder55 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spyder55 Posted 23 Mar 2014 , 5:08pm
post #19 of 22

AYes if bought loads,when they have them in, just add oil,water,oven,simply the best,but cannot remember maker.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 23 Mar 2014 , 6:13pm
post #20 of 22

I love Aldi Chocolate Chips!  And I use a TON of them.  I think I've bought them by the case, actually.

mnurlife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mnurlife Posted 23 Mar 2014 , 9:15pm
post #21 of 22

I like Aldi's product's too. I used their chocolate chips for my fudge and it didn't turn out very well. They were "leaking" grease. 

Dani1081 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dani1081 Posted 1 Apr 2014 , 12:11am
post #22 of 22

I normally never use anything but DH, but recently I was in a pinch and while in Aldi for some other things, I bought white cake mixes.  They were absolutely delicious.  The cake had a really fine crumb and a very delicate flavor - I actually think it was the best white cake mix I've ever tried.  Can't speak for the other flavors as I've not tried them yet.  I buy their eggs, butter, real vanilla, marshmallows, krispy rice cereal, and flour.  I only use Baker's and Chefs powdered sugar from Sam's Club - absolutely NO GRIT at all.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%