Newbie Here...introduction And Wedding Cake Questions..

Decorating By Honeymarley Updated 21 Sep 2010 , 2:10am by Jen80

Honeymarley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Honeymarley Posted 19 Sep 2010 , 5:15am
post #1 of 8

Hello there,

I stumbled across this site and thought what better way to learn about cake decorating and making,then to join a forum. Me and my mother are currently practicing to make my sisters wedding cake for November 2011.

We have now made our first cake and it looks alright. It was a chocolate mud cake with two tiers,I am pleased but not 100% happy at the out come as i want my sisters cake to be perfect for the wedding. It was the first time we prepared and covered a cake with Fondant.

I guess i am looking to find out what are the top essentials i need to know about making and preparing a wedding cake? Also we are looking to find a good recipe for a coconut and mango cake? and if so how long does it last as i think i need to make the cake a couple of days before. Keeping in mind that we live in Australia and November is summer here so wondering if that will affect the choices of what type of cake we should make?

Any help will be appreciated..thanking you and we look forward to reading and finding tips and suggestions from you guys on Cake Central.

Cheers
HM icon_biggrin.gif

7 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 11:19am
post #2 of 8

Hi and Welcome to CC Honeymarley. icon_smile.gif

Everything you need to know to make, decorate and assemble tiered/stacked/layer cakes:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-605188-.html

However, the recipes will need converting to AU measurements.... Might just be easier to wait for some AU CC members to jump in with help.

Sorry I couldn't be of more assistance. icon_cry.gif

lollyponpon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lollyponpon Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 11:39am
post #3 of 8

hey honeymarley WELCOME!!
I too am new here and find myself totally addicted, i love logging on and reading new hints, tips, looking at pics etc.... that cake idea sounds delicious so if you find a recipe please share it! Conversions are a minor detail-- they are achieveable!! One unfortunate truth is that because the users are predominantly american based, it is sometimes difficult to locate ingredients they use (i'm still waiting for somebody to tell me about funfetti cakes! i asked but no one answered icon_sad.gif ) anyway! everybody on here is in it for the same reason, inspiration and a desire to learn new techniques and it is just amazing how much you can learn from this site!! i have developed this notion that "if it isnt on cc or discussed in a froum on cc, then it just aint important !! HAHAHA
Anyway, let me know if there is anything i can do to help you from the aussie point of view icon_smile.gif

JRAE33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JRAE33 Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 11:52am
post #4 of 8

lollyponpon wrote:

Quote:
Quote:

(i'm still waiting for somebody to tell me about funfetti cakes! i asked but no one answered

what did you need to know? if you give me the link to your post, maybe I can help...

lollyponpon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lollyponpon Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 11:55am
post #5 of 8

oh that'd be great!!
well somebody mentioned this "funfetti" cake and i googled it, and it only came up with this image of a cake mix, however i have definately never seen them here in Aust... so basically, just wondering what the concept of a funfetti cake, because, well, it sounds like fun HAHAHA!!
is it something i can make without the box mix (like add something to a different mix etc?)
anyway that'd be fantstic! It was one of those things that natural conversation led to, so i suppose it was just in the wrong forum to be searched/ and or seen LOL

JRAE33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JRAE33 Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 12:50pm
post #6 of 8

lollyponpon wrote:

Quote:
Quote:

oh that'd be great!!
well somebody mentioned this "funfetti" cake and i googled it, and it only came up with this image of a cake mix, however i have definately never seen them here in Aust... so basically, just wondering what the concept of a funfetti cake, because, well, it sounds like fun HAHAHA!!
is it something i can make without the box mix (like add something to a different mix etc?)
anyway that'd be fantstic! It was one of those things that natural conversation led to, so i suppose it was just in the wrong forum to be searched/ and or seen LOL

Funfetti cake also know as confetti cake is simple to make...it's just a white cake mix (or your scratch white cake batter) with sprinkles/jimmies added before baking. I like to just make my own, because I don't think DH makes the funfetti cake, and this way if you want, you can customize the sprinkle colors. I once did 26 centerpiece cakes, all with just blue sprinkles to match the wedding colors. Very fun. Hope that helps.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 11:18pm
post #7 of 8

Here's a link to regular jimmies/sprinkles:
(So you can see what they look like.)

http://www.millcreekcountrystore.com/sprinkles.html?gclid=CJ-yr-qPl6QCFYXV5wod93l8IA

And some shaped jimmies/sprinkles:

http://www.thebakerskitchen.net/shaped-sprinkles.aspx

What a funfetti/confetti cake slice can look like:

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1156785

HTH

Jen80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jen80 Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 2:10am
post #8 of 8

Hi Honeymarley icon_smile.gif .

I'd still cover and decorate the day before, but you can make the cake itself ahead of time and freeze it. I don't know any Mango and coconut cake recipes sorry.

What I'd really like to suggest is to make a smaller version of the cake this year and have it sitting in the same kind of environment that the wedding cake will be for a few hours. That way you'll be able to see any problems that might arise with temperature on the big day. If it's in air-conditioning there's no need, but if the wedding will be outside or in a really hot building then I'd give it a test run.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%