B-Day Cake For 95 Year Old!!!

Decorating By EvMarie Updated 19 Sep 2010 , 4:10am by EvMarie

EvMarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EvMarie Posted 19 Sep 2010 , 1:31am
post #1 of 4

Hi Everyone,

My fella's grandfather is going to be 95!!! Holy Smokes is what I say...I am terrible at cake design so I need some help!

He's a WV man who worked hard in the steel mills. Back in the day he used to have beagles. I guess they used to hunt Raccoons? Not sure why, but that's what most everyone remembers about him.

So - I'm thinking:
*2 tier, BC finish...
*MMF fondant covered foam core cake base(happy birthday in funky tappits)
*some figures of CUTE beagles and CUTE raccoon(s) running around some how?
* I like the 95 number toppers or a plaque of some sort but unsure about the best way to arrange with other elements going on.

I have trouble with colors for sure. I could do a green grass border on both tiers & do the cake base the same color green. But what color should the cakes be to offset the figures? The beagles would be white & caramel brown with black accents I think...and the raccoon(s) would of course be gray, white and black.

I only have 2 tiered cakes loaded in my gallery...and they are pretty plain. I just get stuck. After this I draw blanks...

Any ideas on how to tie it all together. I have lots of little cutters & an airbrush. I noticed...EVERYTHING looks better after you spray pearl on it icon_wink.gif

Thanks...

3 replies
myslady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
myslady Posted 19 Sep 2010 , 2:18am
post #2 of 4

forest theme

use pictures of him to decorate the sides of the cake and frame the pictures with trees on one tier. Pit him and the beagle sitting on top of the cake

tokazodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tokazodo Posted 19 Sep 2010 , 2:31am
post #3 of 4

I looked at the photos in your gallery, you make beautiful cakes!

As far as a color scheme goes, If you are making the dogs caramel and white, and the raccoon gray, They are neutral colors and any other colors would go with them. Green grass and blue would go together also.

I'm thinking if you really wanted to get funky, you could some how work in an old timey red and black checked hunting jacket and cap!

Good luck with your cake and make sure you post a photo so we can see it!

EvMarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EvMarie Posted 19 Sep 2010 , 4:10am
post #4 of 4

Oh...I love him & the dog on top....I'm not sure I can make him in a figure though... I've only made a dragon. I do love the pictures of him in frames. I've seen elegant versions of that idea. But, trees would be really neat with that too.

Oh boy....that's a good one too, with the hunting jacket & cap! I do love the blue idea though. It would look nice with the neutrals.

Sooooo, I like the trees for sure I think. And, the blue, as the other color. I'll have to look for some pictures as examples for all this stuff. I can do it...if I have some pictures to study.

Thanks for the compliment tokazodo - I guarantee you...I wanted to pull all my hair out at the end of those cakes. I just want to be able to do it perfect the first time & cake is so NOT like that. Takes practice.

I will for sure post - Thanks for your ideas....I appreciate it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%