How To Prevent White Buttercream From Darkening?

Decorating By perfectcakebyshirley Updated 21 Sep 2010 , 3:36am by perfectcakebyshirley

perfectcakebyshirley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
perfectcakebyshirley Posted 18 Sep 2010 , 6:06pm
post #1 of 8

I make my own buttercream, 1/2 shortening and 1/2 butter. If I need a white color, I use clear vanilla. It starts off pretty white, but it tends to darken to an ivory color. Any suggestions on how to prevent that? Should I just use all shortening?

7 replies
Charmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charmed Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 1:16am
post #2 of 8

I think the only way to get a pure white icing is to use only shortening.

Erin3085 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Erin3085 Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 1:19am
post #3 of 8

Wilton makes something called an icing whitener. I have never used it, but I have read good things about it. I see it at Michaels. HTH!

debbief Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbief Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 1:40am
post #4 of 8

I use it and I think it works well.

weezercakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weezercakes Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 1:43am
post #5 of 8

I use only shortening in my icing, it turns out white not ivory.

CakeInfatuation Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeInfatuation Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 1:50am
post #6 of 8

I use the Wilton Icing Whitener stuff also. Amazing how just a little bit can make your 1/2 butter buttercream turn BRIGHT white. It's so clean and pretty without sacrificing taste or texture!

I used it tonight to paint a gumpaste airplane white. Didn't want it to look dull... Just added a little super pearl dust, a couple drops of rum, and painted away. Amazing!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 1:51am
post #7 of 8

I always advised my brides that my icing would not be pure white. I had 'white' walls in my shop and pointed out that the color of the icing would be about that. There was only 1 person who was not happy upon delivery . The rented linens were sooooooo BLUE white I could not believe it. No wonder they were not happy.

perfectcakebyshirley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
perfectcakebyshirley Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 3:36am
post #8 of 8

I'll have to try the icing whitener - I actually have some, but hadn't thought to use it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%