Red Velvet Taste Off

Baking By Maria925 Updated 18 Sep 2010 , 3:14am by deMuralist

Maria925 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maria925 Posted 18 Sep 2010 , 12:47am
post #1 of 11

I don't have a red velvet recipe, but realize I need to have one in my arsenal. I saw a link to this blog today and thought it was full of some good information on some of the popular recipes out there and thought I would share!

I think I will be trying a couple of these...

http://thebakemore.blogspot.com/2009/11/ultimate-red-velvet-cake-taste-off-8.html

icon_biggrin.gif

10 replies
Lita829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lita829 Posted 18 Sep 2010 , 12:52am
post #2 of 11

Very cool! Thanks for sharing icon_smile.gif

I have to admit that I am a little surprised that an oil-based cake won. Interesting icon_confused.gif

littlejewel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlejewel Posted 18 Sep 2010 , 1:17am
post #3 of 11

OMG I love this post. That woman gets a lot of respect from me for doing a taste test.

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 18 Sep 2010 , 1:36am
post #4 of 11

I did the same type of thing, had a taste test with Cake Man Raven's recipe (cutting out some of the oil) and McCormacks version (which my business partners swear by) and Cake Man Raven's cake won. Now I use that recipe at all my tastings and my clients love it. Me, not so much but that may be because I just don't like red velvet to begin with.

G_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
G_Cakes Posted 18 Sep 2010 , 1:41am
post #5 of 11

I L-O-V-E Cakeman Raven's Red Velvet and it is the only RV recipe I use....

Tried a few here from CC but his by far is the best... the only thing I have changed is the amount of food color I use in it, managed to get it down to 1/2 an ounce and it still looks brilliant red...

Maria925 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maria925 Posted 18 Sep 2010 , 1:46am
post #6 of 11

I'm so glad to hear others like the Cakeman Raven's recipe. I honestly don't like red velvet myself (which is probably why I don't have a recipe for one). I think that will be the one I will try out!!

thin4life Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thin4life Posted 18 Sep 2010 , 2:01am
post #7 of 11

Does anyone have the recipe for Cakeman Raven's Red Velvet cake?

bethasd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethasd Posted 18 Sep 2010 , 2:12am
post #8 of 11

I LOVE Cakeman Raven's recipe but recently tried Bakerella's recipe & think I'm a convert!

Tea42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Normita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Normita Posted 18 Sep 2010 , 2:47am
post #10 of 11

I have also used Cakemans RV...it was good but I liked Sara's red velvet "tweaked" from this site. It is soooooo good and in my opinion, I liked it a little bit better than CM RV icon_smile.gif

deMuralist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deMuralist Posted 18 Sep 2010 , 3:14am
post #11 of 11

I use Cakeman Raven's but use 2T of cocoa instead of 1tsp and I also manage to use less red color-I use food color from GFS and it must be more concentrated than the regular stuff. I get rave reviews. But I use the cream cheese frosting from this blog (it is phenomenal!!!) http://blog.pinkcakebox.com/recipes I did not care so much for the cake recipe though. I will have to try Sara's Tweaked and see how it compares.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%