Rolled Fondant Swags

Decorating By roxie Updated 22 Sep 2010 , 9:53pm by trishvanhoozer

roxie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
roxie Posted 18 Sep 2010 , 12:36am
post #1 of 8

what is the best way to make rolled fondant swags on a 3 tier cake with them cascading down. do you add anything to the fondant to make it easier to work with.

maureen

7 replies
Sweetwise Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetwise Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 3:25am
post #2 of 8

I'll be making a how to video on this soon.

Roll out a rectangle of fondant/gumpaste mix (not too heavy on gumpaste, just enough to help it get stretchy), about 4 inches wide, and as long as you want you swag (try not to work with more than 12" at a time. Roll it fairly thin so it's not so heavy. Lay 4 wood dowel rods flat on your table, put the fondant rectangle on top of that. Then place 3 more dowels on top of the fondant, in the "ditches" of the 4 that are underneath. Push down gently, then tighten (squeeze together) the dowels so they are laying closer together. Take top ones off, push bottom ones out, then pinch ends together and lift and place on. Glue on with Royal Icing, or really just water will work. If it is heavy, use clear piping gel. It's nice and sticky!

Check out our other videos and feel free to subscribe to our channel!

www.youtube.com/sweetwiseinc

heroes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heroes Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 8:33am
post #3 of 8

sweetwise I loved your video, its a pity we or rather I cant work that fast.xx

trishvanhoozer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trishvanhoozer Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 4:37pm
post #4 of 8

I have made swags as Sweetwise instructed above, but they just don't ever turn out so nicely. I have one photo on my photos of a wedding cake and the swags seemed to look so much smaller in width than when I started. I used Satin Ice fondant 75% to 25% gumpaste, didn't do well, so I switched to Wilton fondant (same ratio). The cake was still beautiful, but I was frustrated to say the least!

Sweetwise, I love your website and videos. They are great and very helpful. I live in Atlanta, but am traveling to Nashville over October 1 weekend, cannot wait to visit your store!

trishvanhoozer Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 4:38pm
post #5 of 8

I have made swags as Sweetwise instructed above, but they just don't ever turn out so nicely. I have one photo on my photos of a wedding cake and the swags seemed to look so much smaller in width than when I started. I used Satin Ice fondant 75% to 25% gumpaste, didn't do well, so I switched to Wilton fondant (same ratio). The cake was still beautiful, but I was frustrated to say the least!

Sweetwise, I love your website and videos. They are great and very helpful. I live in Atlanta, but am traveling to Nashville over October 1 weekend, cannot wait to visit your store!

dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 5:17pm
post #6 of 8

I was taught by several people to use a 50-50 mix when doing swags and drapes for cake.

Sweetwise Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetwise Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 8:35pm
post #7 of 8

@trishvanhoozer: Thanks! Can't wait to see you; glad you like the videos.

The gumpaste I like to use is frankly just adding Tylose powder to FondX (that's our favorite fondant). Basically, Tylose +FondX=Gumpaste. You can add more or less Tylose according to how firm you need it to be. THat way it "feels" more like fondant, so its not so scary. I kind of like being in control of how firm my gumpaste.

trishvanhoozer Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 9:53pm
post #8 of 8

Sweetwise - I assume you carry Tylose at your store? I have trouble finding it here, and frankly have never used it. I was unsure as to the details of how it is supplied or how long it would last once opened. I will give this a shot. I would love to make beautiful swags. I was really disappointed in the end result of my cake but it was my first try. I suggest to Roxie to watch every video online that you can, and read as many tutorials as possible. I did get to do my cake tasting for this bride with the actual top layer of the cake with a "practice" swag on it so that she could see my abilities prior to her placing her order. I really didn't want her to be surprised or disappointed in case she did not like the shape/size of my swags. Hope this helps!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%