Cake Comments Sharper Than A Knife

Decorating By grandmomof1 Updated 18 Sep 2010 , 12:28am by indydebi

grandmomof1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmomof1 Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 7:01pm
post #1 of 6

I am making a butterfly cake for my granddaughter's first birthday at my daughter-in-law's request whom I love dearly. I sketched it out and asked her to send me the link to the napkins so I could match the colors. When the conversation started, it didn't seem to matter to her what I did. Not really alarmed and was okay with that, but then she says, "You're putting fondant on it anyway aren't you?" I answered with a yes because that is what she showed me a picture of. Her reply was, "It really doesn't matter no one will eat that anyway." Duhhh?????

5 replies
Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 10:10pm
post #2 of 6

I think some people just don't realize how blunt they are being. I've had my share of comments like that, but I've also had some really awesome ones. I figure if I can do something to fix those "sharp" comments, then those are the criticisms I should be paying attention to. Little off hand remarks like that don't deserve anymore thought.

psmith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psmith Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 10:22pm
post #3 of 6

I'm so sorry she said that. Like the poster before me said, I don't think people realize how what they say sounds or comes across. Just remember that you're making the cake for your granddaughter and how delighted she will be when you work your magic with the cake. icon_smile.gif

KimmyKakes4Me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimmyKakes4Me Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 10:22pm
post #4 of 6

Most people don't eat fondant. Period. You can make everyone sign a notice at the front door of a reception stating that they understand this particular batch of fondant is delicious and the Pope himself endorses it, but it ain't gonna get eaten. It's not so much the taste, it's the texture. Who wants to chew their icing?

JCE62108 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JCE62108 Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 10:40pm
post #5 of 6

I get stuff all the time that bothers me. Especially when it comes to pricing or when people dont understand the time involved with making a cake.

My mom wanted a carved 3D cake of a robot head. She freaked when I told her that if I was making it for someone else, it would be about $280.00. That weekend, she asked me how long it took to make. I told her probably about 10-12 hours after all the baking, making fondant, buttercream, cleaning up, decorating it, etc.

She was astonished that it took me more than 2 hours. She doesnt understand that this isnt a frozen cake from a grocery store that I just slap canned frosting on. lol. I got lots of remarks from family when I tell them how long and takes and a few have even said, "well its ok. When you get more experienced Im sure you'll be able to do it faster."

Hello, Ive made thousands of cakes and have been doing this for 3 years! I got a few under my belt here. lol. People just dont understand sometimes that the things they say can hurt a little, or perhaps be a little inconsiderate. I have learned to ignore it. icon_smile.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 18 Sep 2010 , 12:28am
post #6 of 6

Her: No one eats it anyway.
Me: then why should I bother with all of the work and expense. I'll just make a buttercream and save my fabulous fondant for those who not only appreciate my time, talent and hard work, but also scarf it down because it's SO GOOD!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%