Need Immediately Help - Covering Dummy With Fondant

Decorating By j_arney Updated 17 Sep 2010 , 5:33pm by dchockeyguy

j_arney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
j_arney Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 4:18pm
post #1 of 4

I've never covered dummies in fondant, but I wanted to make a 4 tier cantilevered cake for my son's 3rd birthday tomorrow. I just tried to cover the first dummy and it ripped at the corners. I tried re-rolling it thicker, but that didn't help either. How do I cover a dummy with such sharp squre edges?? I deperately need to get these 4 tiers (3 fake, 1 real) covered TODAY! What am I doing wrong?

3 replies
catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 4:24pm
post #2 of 4

the first thing I do is to rub the surface with crisco. Not only does this help the fondant to stick it helps to soften the surface. And, yes, roll it out the thickness of a nickle. Sounds like your fondant may be a bit too soft and you may need to knead in more PS as well.

Cat

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 4:39pm
post #3 of 4

Also take something hard and soften the edges of your sharp dummy edges....press down really hard on them like with a cake smoother or something (before covering, of course)....it does not affect the final appearance but its easier on the fondant.

dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 5:33pm
post #4 of 4

You can also take a piece of sand paper, or something similar, and soften the edges a little bit before covering it. Some people prefer the beveled cake dummies for this reason.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%