Help!!! Question! Storing In Fridge Without Box / Wrapping

Decorating By mrsmac888 Updated 17 Sep 2010 , 6:13pm by mrsmac888

mrsmac888 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsmac888 Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 2:14pm
post #1 of 5

Good Morning All!

I'm in the final stages of doing a three tier cake. This cake is due at a party tomorrow, Saturday afternoon.

I had them wrapped in saran wrap and in the freezer up to last night. I took them out and they are at room temp. I want to fill them, all three are different. One is cream cheese filling, one is chocolate ganache and one is strawberry cream cheese. After the filling and settling for a couple of hours, I will crumb coat and frost. At this point, they go to the fridge until the final decorating for tomorrow morning.

My question is this. I don't have cake boxes to store them overnight in the fridge. What do I do????? Can they just sit in the fridge uncovered? Will they dry out? I don't have time tomorrow to frost and decorate, I have to frost today.

Thanks for your help!
Christina

4 replies
pag41989 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pag41989 Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 2:30pm
post #2 of 5

I sat a cake in our fridge that was covered in buttercream over night and it was fine. I frosted the cake and stacked it and placed it in our fridge uncovered around 11 pm thursday night and took it out around 5 pm friday and the cake was okay.

sandy1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandy1 Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 2:57pm
post #3 of 5

I would think you would need to wrap your cakes before refrigerating them so they don't pick up unwanted tastes from the other food items. If your lucky enough to have a separate refrigerator for your baked goods, you would be fine keeping the cakes in the refrig, without wrapping them, once they are iced. I hope someone else will give you some advice because I don't use fillings that require refrigeration. This allows me to keep my iced cakes out overnight.

Shelly4481 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelly4481 Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 3:54pm
post #4 of 5

I put them in the fridge all the time without box/wrap. They will be fine. Of course I have a fridge in my garage that I use just for cakes and drinks.

mrsmac888 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsmac888 Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 6:13pm
post #5 of 5

Fabulous! Thank you for the advice. I do have an extra fridge that will be just for the cake. So I can sleep tonight not worrying about if it's going to be a mess tomorrow or dried out.

Thanks again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%