Favorite Buttercream Flavorings?

Decorating By SugarMama5 Updated 21 Sep 2010 , 10:04pm by Crimsicle

SugarMama5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarMama5 Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 1:11pm
post #1 of 19

What are the best & yummiest flavorings to put in buttercream? I've fallen in love with swiss meringue buttercream when it is flavored well, like with chocolate. I'm not as crazy about it with just vanilla though. Any ideas?

18 replies
tastyart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastyart Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 1:25pm
post #2 of 19

I recently flavored my BC with caramel sauce...Yum! Here is a link. http://www.thatreallyfrostsme.com/2010/09/caramel-frosting.html

jleigh982 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jleigh982 Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 1:50pm
post #3 of 19

Not too long ago I got a request for Guinness Cupcakes with Baileys Buttercream. on first thought I was grossed out, but after making them, I liked them alot! The Baileys Buttercream is now one of my favorites!

SugarMama5 Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 10:56pm
post #4 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jleigh982

Not too long ago I got a request for Guinness Cupcakes with Baileys Buttercream. on first thought I was grossed out, but after making them, I liked them alot! The Baileys Buttercream is now one of my favorites!

What are Guinness cupcakes?

cakecraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecraft Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 11:17pm
post #5 of 19

Love love love orange....and coconut.

Crimsicle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crimsicle Posted 18 Sep 2010 , 1:07am
post #6 of 19

My all-time favorite is almond. But a close second is Lorann's champagne flavor. It doesn't really taste like champagne (at least not to me) but it's really yummy and people find it intriguing. It's impossible to identify.

jleigh982 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jleigh982 Posted 18 Sep 2010 , 2:49am
post #7 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarMama5

Quote:

This is the recipe I used...I cant take credit for something this great! once you try them, you will LOVE them...and the recipe is asked for all the time for grooms cakes! HAPPY BAKING!

http://confessionsoftart.blogspot.com/2009/04/guinness-cupcakes-with-baileys.html

SugarMama5 Posted 18 Sep 2010 , 9:11pm
post #8 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimsicle

My all-time favorite is almond. But a close second is Lorann's champagne flavor. It doesn't really taste like champagne (at least not to me) but it's really yummy and people find it intriguing. It's impossible to identify.

does it really have champagne in it?

k_mun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
k_mun Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 8:20pm
post #9 of 19

I've done Mocha, i think the recipe i used was from the cake bible.
Also, pineapple and orange are great! Used lorann pineapple flavoring and for the orange, boyajian oil.
I made these flavors using neo-classic.

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 8:28pm
post #10 of 19

I love Nutella, white choc. raspberry, and peanut butter (using brown sugar instead of white when cooking). I hate raspberry BC but LOVE this so much I used it in my wedding cake.

langranny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
langranny Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 8:39pm
post #11 of 19

Key lime. I made key lime cupcakes (just subbed KL juice for 1/2 the water in WASC and left out the almond) and then filled them with a mixture of softened cream cheese and strawberry ice cream topping. Then I added the rest of the block of cream cheese and about 2 tablespoons of KL juice to some buttercream I already had made, added a cup of powdered sugar, whipped it up and it was WONDERFUL!! Had a great tart/sweet taste.

LisaMarie86 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaMarie86 Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 8:40pm
post #12 of 19

I love Nutella, Peanut butter, almond, boysenberry, coconut, ummmm yeah I like buttercream.

SugarMama5 Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 4:08pm
post #13 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaMarie86

I love Nutella, Peanut butter, almond, boysenberry, coconut, ummmm yeah I like buttercream.

Where do you get boysenberry from? (maybe a crazy question, I just don't ever remember seeing it anywhere...)

Nutella sounds sooo good too... how much do you mix into the BC?

Erin3085 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Erin3085 Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 5:25pm
post #14 of 19

I second the Baileys. I use a mixture of Baileys and heavy cream when I make that flavor. SO good on mocha or chocolate cake!

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

This is the recipe I used...I cant take credit for something this great! once you try them, you will LOVE them...and the recipe is asked for all the time for grooms cakes! HAPPY BAKING!

http://confessionsoftart.blogspot.com/2009/04/guinness-cupcakes-with-baileys.html

These sound delicious...I LOVE Guinness...so much. icon_biggrin.gif

Maria925 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maria925 Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 6:24pm
post #15 of 19

I'm putting Nutella BC in my own cake this weekend. I swear I almost don't need a cake...just a bowl of that! I just also decided that I want to try "creme de menthe" in my BC and doing an Andes Mint type chocolate cake. Never tried it, but it sounds yummy icon_smile.gif

LisaMarie86 Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 6:37pm
post #16 of 19
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaMarie86

Where do you get boysenberry from? (maybe a crazy question, I just don't ever remember seeing it anywhere...)

Nutella sounds sooo good too... how much do you mix into the BC?

I cant remember where it came from we had some extract from a person who used to bake where we did and we needed a different flavor so we used some and I remember it being fantastic. I will have to do some research and see if I can find it again.

As for the nutella I mix in and taste as I go until I get my desired flavor.

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 6:56pm
post #17 of 19

You can get boysenberry at liquor store that sells homebrew supplies, a friend made boysenberry wine. It comes in a can, I dont know if it is syrup or liquid. sorry.

LisaMarie86 Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 7:18pm
post #18 of 19

I actually think I got my fruits mixed up and it was blackberry extract. Here is a link to all kinds of different extracts including blackberry. http://www.faeriesfinest.com/extracts.html Still haven't found an online source for boysenberry though. Im still searching.

Crimsicle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crimsicle Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 10:04pm
post #19 of 19
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimsicle

My all-time favorite is almond. But a close second is Lorann's champagne flavor....

does it really have champagne in it?

No. It's an artificial flavor. Quite unique and quite good. But, I can't imagine WHY they call it "champagne."

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%