Wrapping Floral Wire With Florist Tape?

Decorating By pag41989 Updated 19 Sep 2010 , 7:13pm by mckaren

pag41989 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pag41989 Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 12:59pm
post #1 of 10

I am not sure why but I am having the hardest time getting my florist tape to wrap around the wire. I tried this last night and it kept sliding up and down the wire and wouldn't stick to itself and wouldn't wrap around the wire. Does anyone have any suggestions? I know you aren't supposed to stick wires into cakes but this is for a competition so it won't be eaten. Thanks! icon_biggrin.gif

9 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 1:05pm
post #2 of 10

Stretch the tape to make it sticky icon_biggrin.gif

beenie51 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beenie51 Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 1:19pm
post #3 of 10

Texas rose is right the tape has to be stretched to make it sticky. Good luck!

pag41989 Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 1:21pm
post #4 of 10

Oh okay maybe that is what I am doing wrong. I have never really worked with florist tape before so it was pretty aggravating to deal with plus I broke two of my hydrangea blooms icon_sad.gif Hopefully I will have better luck tonight!

tastyart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastyart Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 1:28pm
post #5 of 10

This might be opening a can of worms but....If I'm going to eat a cake I would rather have only the wire touching it than florist tape. Am I the only one?

pag41989 Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 1:33pm
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tastyart

This might be opening a can of worms but....If I'm going to eat a cake I would rather have only the wire touching it than florist tape. Am I the only one?

I agree with you, however no one is eating this cake. It is just for show so I am not worried about the taste. I am actually planning on using a box mix instead of my scratch recipe so I don't have to spend so much time baking the cake.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 2:29pm
post #7 of 10
Quote:

Are you talking about inside or just in general?

I've tried flowers, well actually leaves on wire with no tape, the wire doesn't stick to the gumpaste and the leaves would spin around the wire. Also if you didn't use tape what would you use to connect petals together to make a flower or several flowers and leaves together to make an arrangement?

pag41989 Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 2:33pm
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

Quote:

Are you talking about inside or just in general?

I've tried flowers, well actually leaves on wire with no tape, the wire doesn't stick to the gumpaste and the leaves would spin around the wire. Also if you didn't use tape what would you use to connect petals together to make a flower or several flowers and leaves together to make an arrangement?

Regarding the leaves spinning around the wire, I dip the wire in a little egg white and it helps them to stick. My leaves would spin around when the gumpaste was not dried but once it dried overnight on the wires they were fine.

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 4:25pm
post #9 of 10

[quote="TexasSugar
I've tried flowers, well actually leaves on wire with no tape, the wire doesn't stick to the gumpaste and the leaves would spin around the wire. Also if you didn't use tape what would you use to connect petals together to make a flower or several flowers and leaves together to make an arrangement?[/quote]

If you don't want to crack an egg just for the egg white you could try what i do..

Bring 1/4 cup of water and 1/4 cup of castor sugar (superfine sugar) to a gentle boil - stirring.
When boiling - remove from heat - allow to cool and then transfer into a sterilized jar.

I just pour some into a clean little dish and dab my wires or paintbrush in that - saves cross contaminating the whole jar.

This is the method i use all the time - it works great - as in my *explosion* for this cake
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1800464&sub=1800469

I dip the wire - slide it into the shape - lay on airing rack for a day or two to completly harden - then VOULA - all done and sturdy and ready to go.

I then place the wires inside a cake pick that i have put some fondant in - stops the wires from swinging around....gently push cake pic into cake.

Syrup can be kept in fridge for a month -
Perfect for those little touch up jobs and applying fondant shapes to cakes also.

HTH

Bluehue.

mckaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mckaren Posted 19 Sep 2010 , 7:13pm
post #10 of 10
Quote:

If you use a flowerpick you won't have wire or tape touching your cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%