Need A New Stand Mixer - What To Get?

Decorating By frstore2 Updated 18 Sep 2010 , 9:35am by frstore2

frstore2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frstore2 Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 10:12am
post #1 of 16

My Kenwood Robot just gave out - in the middle of a wedding cake! I've borrowed a neighbors. But business has exploded and I think I'm going to have to bite the bullet and get something for light industrial use (right now I work with 2 wedding planners and teach cooking classes in Tuscany as well as a small amount of catering). I'd like something with diverse funcionallity so that I can use it for catering and cooking classes as well - a shredder, slicer and pasta atachment would be key. And it needs to be portable so that I can transport it between my home kitchen that I bake and cater out of and my olive grove kitchen that I teach out of. But most important it needs to be a DURABLE WORKHORSE. Any suggestions? Help.

15 replies
Occther Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Occther Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 10:53am
post #2 of 16

Kitchen Aid!!!

huntlilbel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
huntlilbel Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 11:18am
post #3 of 16

i second the kitchen aid!!

frstore2 Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 12:08pm
post #4 of 16

Which one. I've heard that the insides of the newer kitchen aids are metal but that they're encased in plastic. And that the plastic parts are sacrifical lambs to save the more expensive metal parts. What worries me is that in Italy repairs cost an arm and a leg. If that information is wrong somebody please tell me - because function wise I thought the kitchen aid looked great. Right now I'm looking at a Bosch mum series, Kitchen Aid Professional Series or Electrolux magic mill - the hobart is out of my price range.

frstore2 Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 12:19pm
post #5 of 16

I just double checked and the kitchen aid I am looking at is the commercial 5 series. Does anyone have any experience with that one?

deMuralist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deMuralist Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 12:43pm
post #6 of 16

I have the new Cuisinart 7 quart and LOVE it. I decided on it because of a recommendation in the Cooks Illustrated.

Occther Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Occther Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 10:21pm
post #7 of 16

I live near the Kitchen Aid outlet/factory in Ohio so I can buy refurbished at a great price. I love my Kitchen Aid 6 qt pro. Being in another country, the cost of repairs could definitely be a deciding factor.

Babs1964 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Babs1964 Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 10:47pm
post #8 of 16

Love my new Cuisinart! icon_biggrin.gif

glow0369 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
glow0369 Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 11:02pm
post #9 of 16

Love my Kitchen Aid Architect 6 qt.

deMuralist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deMuralist Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 11:09pm
post #10 of 16

Love my new 7 quart Cuisinart!!!!

angelwings1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelwings1 Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 11:12pm
post #11 of 16

I'm a KitchenAid girl.

Lita829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lita829 Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 11:23pm
post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelwings1

I'm a KitchenAid girl.

Ditto....all the way.

Tea42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tea42 Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 11:43pm
post #13 of 16

I love my KitchenAid too!

A_LATIN_ANGEL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
A_LATIN_ANGEL Posted 18 Sep 2010 , 1:49am
post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by frstore2

My Kenwood Robot just gave out - in the middle of a wedding cake! I've borrowed a neighbors. But business has exploded and I think I'm going to have to bite the bullet and get something for light industrial use (right now I work with 2 wedding planners and teach cooking classes in Tuscany as well as a small amount of catering). I'd like something with diverse funcionallity so that I can use it for catering and cooking classes as well - a shredder, slicer and pasta atachment would be key. And it needs to be portable so that I can transport it between my home kitchen that I bake and cater out of and my olive grove kitchen that I teach out of. But most important it needs to be a DURABLE WORKHORSE. Any suggestions? Help.

I've had the same KitchenAid for over 30 years! NO PROBLEMS AT ALL....
I ABSOLUTELY LOVE KitchenAid 1000%
thumbs_up.gifjudge.gif

cheriej Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheriej Posted 18 Sep 2010 , 2:14am
post #15 of 16

I've had a KA for 15 years and recently bought the 7Qt. Cuisinart after seeking input from here on CC. I've never looked back. The Cuisinart is a DREAM compared to the KA. If you can't afford a Hobart, go with the Cuisinart - find someone who has one and go look at it and try it out. You will love it. CC did not steer me wrong here.

frstore2 Posted 18 Sep 2010 , 9:35am
post #16 of 16

Thank you for all the great advice. I looked at the kitchen aid, but the only one that is really available here is the Artisian model and I wanted something a little tougher. My husband had a stroke of genuis last night and checked out supermarket points catolog (between his shop and my business we have tons of points) and found that until oct. there is a Kenwood chef major available and it would be free with our points - so looks like at the end of the day Free is the way we're going to go. His point was even if it breaks again (though the chef major is a step above the prosperous that I had so maybe it will be a little more durable), it will give us time to save for the hobart.

BTW I finished the wedding cake with the help of my neighbors machine and it turned out gorgeous. I'm going to deliver it this afternoon.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%