Giant Cupcake, Bad Cake! (Long Pity Party)

Decorating By Elcee Updated 17 Sep 2010 , 3:32am by Elcee

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 3:02am
post #1 of 4

...she said, shaking head sadly.

I was given a silicon giant cupcake pan recently. I was kind of nervous to try it but my cake came out really well. So, I decided to freeze if for a week and use if for DD's birthday (tomorrow night).

Well, I haven't read anything about how hard those stinking things are to frost! I managed last night to tort, fill and crumbcoat both top and bottom and let them settle overnight and while I was at work today. Well I got home today and the bottom had a huge ugly cake bulge on one side of the cake and it was collapsing on the other. I tried covering it in fondant anyway but realized there was no way to save this thing. I am currently baking 3 layers of cake to make a new cupcake bottom.

The plan is to get them in the fridge to cool, watch Project Runway (DVRed), then fill and carve and crumbcoat and whip some fondant on it as soon as I get home tomorrow (4 ish and the party is at 6). I'm exhausted...I've been going since I got up at 5:30 this morning and have to do it again tomorrow. The good news is that the cupcake top is adorable (I pre-made giant fondant sprinkles ) and the manicotti is already made for dinner.

The party was supposed to be 5 of us but now has been expaned to include 5 more of her friends because they all love my cakes! I feel so badly that her cake might not come out well.

Thanks for reading this, I actually feel better just having written it!

3 replies
Kellbella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellbella Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 3:21am
post #2 of 4

Sorry you're having such a hard time icon_cry.gif I've been there too! Don't worry about the cake enjoy the celebration tomorrow, everyone loves your cakes anyway so don't sweat the small stuff icon_wink.gif

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 3:22am
post #3 of 4

Over the years I've found pans made for specific shapes are more a pain in the neck than anything. And.. they take up too much storage room!

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 3:32am
post #4 of 4

kansaslaura, I agree. I've always kinda felt like how often am I really going to make a giant cupcake? Now I know...just once icon_lol.gif BUT my mother gave me the pan so I had to try it at least once and pretend to like it.

Kellbella, thanks for the sympathy! The cakes will TASTE really good! Both are mocha flavored and the top has Bailey's buttercream and the bottom will have fudge buttercream.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%