Royal Icing Cage

Decorating By lollyponpon Updated 17 Sep 2010 , 4:06am by all4cake

lollyponpon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lollyponpon Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 2:51am
post #1 of 6

I am oh so certain that there is already plenty of discussion on CC about this, but i cannot seem to yield any results with my serach of the forums. If you have the link to an instructional/tutorial on RI cage making can you please post here or reply in email or something.
I have had a sudden burst of inspiration to incorporate it on a cake in a few weeks but i literally have no idea where to start with it!
Thank you all in advance and im sorry i had to start a new thread!! maybe any "website user tips" could be posted here too LOL

thanks,
lolly

5 replies
crumbcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crumbcake Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 3:13am
post #2 of 6

What kind of cage do you mean?

lollyponpon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lollyponpon Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 3:52am
post #3 of 6

a royal icicng cage, similar to a piped tiara except it is 2 halves (i believe) that join together to make a cage... maybe they aren't called that?? I might just have to experiment haha

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 3:58am
post #4 of 6

I would secure parchment (Wilton or Reynolds, on the roll, has the best release)to a lipless cylinder (oatmeal canister or empty 2 liter soda bottle) and using ri made with egg whites (it really is stronger) to pipe it in the same manner as a ri tiara. Allow it to dry, completely. Slide cage off. If overpiping for strength, do so before sliding it off cylinder and allow the overpiping to dry, completely, as well. That is if it's for a straight-sided cage.

For a bowl-shaped cage, LIGHTLY grease the outside of a bowl or half-ball pan. Pipe design. Allow to dry. Overpipe. Allow to dry. Carefully remove. Make extras.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%