Making Royal Icing A Real Red?

Decorating By maitej17 Updated 24 Sep 2010 , 2:28am by maitej17

maitej17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maitej17 Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 1:55am
post #1 of 5

Hi,
I've been struggling to get a deep red for my royal icing. I followed the technique suggested on wilton's site use Red-red and Christmas Red in equal parts. They suggested only 1/2 teaspoon of each per cup. I have a 3 cup recipe and I used the entire bottle of both and still did not achieve a deep red. All I'm getting is what looks like a orangy red. I tried using a Red-red and a little black to get a marrone to try and get closer to a deep red but all I got was a brick red this time (and I wasted another bottle of red-red. Can't be wasting money on these colors to go to waste, Pleas help! icon_cry.gif

4 replies
cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 3:18am
post #2 of 5

I gave up with Wilton and switched to super red. I think Americolor super red is the best. I special order it through the mail in large bottles.

ellentwn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellentwn Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 3:55am
post #3 of 5

i also use Americolor super red and also add Wilton No taste red also. i think i got a good red with that combo. see Huskers cookies in photo. good luck and keep trying

zespri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zespri Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 7:38am
post #4 of 5

the cake shop I go to use a combination of gel paste, plus they use some red powder. Apparently they have to boil it up with some water first.

maitej17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maitej17 Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 2:28am
post #5 of 5

Thanks everyone,
I will definitely look into the Americolor super red for the future, because going through 3 bottles of red and still not getting a red color is not helping.
Thanks again! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%