Llc Question

Business By CakesbyMichele Updated 21 Sep 2010 , 4:27pm by tracycakes

CakesbyMichele Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyMichele Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 5:43pm
post #1 of 10

I'm beginning to fill out my paperwork to become an LLC. Does anyone know (ball park) how much a lawyer charges to file it? Is there anything else I need to do after I finish the paper? Kind of lost with the whole process so any help would be appreciated. Thanks. Michele

9 replies
mayo2222 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mayo2222 Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 5:58pm
post #2 of 10

Wooh, you shouldn't need a lawyer to file your papers. Normally its something you can easily do online at your Secretary of States website.

hollyberry91 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hollyberry91 Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 6:02pm
post #3 of 10

I don't know the answer to that but i would like to know as well! I have spent alot of time calling and i feel like i haven't gotten anywhere : (

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 6:35pm
post #4 of 10

The filing fee is typically around $100 if you file yourself, and some states also charge a yearly LLC tax.

Here's some free info:
http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/article-30287.html

If you need professional guidance, LegalZoom has packages starting at $100 (plus the filing fees). No idea how much an actual lawyer would charge, but it's probably more than $100.
http://www.legalzoom.com/limited-liability-company/limited-liability-company-overview.html

You can also save money by naming yourself as the registered agent for the LLC, meaning the state will contact you directly instead of a third-party.

SpudCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpudCake Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 6:45pm
post #5 of 10

I paid my lawyer $400 to file mine. That was just 4 months ago.

Joanne usaribbon.gif

Christina222 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Christina222 Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 6:52pm
post #6 of 10

I was thinking of trying to use www.legalzoom.com for help with that. Maybe you should look at what they offer. My understanding is they do that for you and make sure it's all correct.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 6:57pm
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christina222

I was thinking of trying to use www.legalzoom.com for help with that. Maybe you should look at what they offer. My understanding is they do that for you and make sure it's all correct.

I actually used LegalZoom to file my LLC paperwork a few years ago, and they delivered as promised.

Of course, when I had time to look at how easy the process was, I felt pretty stupid for paying someone else to do it. icon_wink.gif

LoveMeSomeCake615 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 18 Sep 2010 , 1:37am
post #8 of 10

Yep, I just did it myself online. Super easy. icon_smile.gif

bakingpw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingpw Posted 18 Sep 2010 , 5:26pm
post #9 of 10

Just do it yourself on line - IT'S EASY!! Then, buy some cool caking tools with the $400. you would have spent on a lawyer. icon_smile.gif

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 4:27pm
post #10 of 10

Yes, it is easy to do yourself, but we had our lawyer do it. There were some legal things that weren't mentioned in the Sec of State's website that the lawyer took care of. I think it was just a couple of hundred dollars but great peace of mind that we didn't miss anything.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%