I Need Help Timing My Cake Baking

Decorating By linsa Updated 16 Sep 2010 , 4:38pm by TexasSugar

linsa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linsa Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 4:04pm
post #1 of 3

I am making 2 kinds of cookies, coconut macaroons and french macaroons, a black forest cake, apple cake (apfelkuchen), pear tart, tiramisu, and an 8" vanilla 4 layer swiss mrng. cake.

I want to be smart about this, so what will keep the longest and what needs to be made the day before? This is all for this Sunday afternoon...

2 replies
Sucrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sucrea Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 4:23pm
post #2 of 3

I would do the tiramisu first. I personally like it better after it has set and the flavors meld together. I would do the cookies next. Cookies tend to keep well depending on what kind you are making. Then I would work on the cakes. Start with the one that will take the most time decorating. Prepare the pear tart and make the macaroons last as these are best soon after making. This is all just my opinion. Good luck and I wish I lived near you, sounds yummy!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 4:38pm
post #3 of 3

When I have a bunch of things that need to be made I make a list of each part of the things I need to do. That way I can look through the list and see what can be worked on while other things are making.

Cakes have to be baked and cooled so I always factor that in. (could be baked tonight or tomorrow and assembled later on.)
Icing has to be made.
Then it all put together.

While you have something in the oven, like the cookies or cake layers you could be making the icing, or the filling for the tiramisu. Or you could be slicing apples and pears.

I multi task the different parts than doing each thing start to finish. Just make sure you have a list of what needs to be done and check off things as you go.

Don't forget to make a note of things that need to sit out and soften or come to room temp. I getting ready to make some cookies, only to realise that I left the butter in the fridge and it is still rock hard.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%