Day Not Starting Off Well!

Decorating By flamingobaker Updated 19 Sep 2010 , 5:45pm by Herekittykitty

flamingobaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flamingobaker Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 2:39pm
post #1 of 17

So the cake is in the oven....I go to start making icing and discover batteries are dead icon_sad.gif ...I have extra! icon_smile.gif... but wrong size icon_sad.gif

Go to grab a cup of coffee before I go to the store and see 8 eggs SITTING ON THE COUNTER! icon_mad.gif Cake's been in 15-20 minutes so I decide to give it a shot....rewash...remix...it becomes obvious it's not going to work icon_sad.gif Have to make new batch, but still need batteries tapedshut.gif

Pouring rain, run into store but not before stomping in a huge puddle icon_surprised.gif
Store doesn't have right size to exchange...have to go to another store icon_sad.gif

New cake now in oven happily baking icon_smile.gif

It's gonna go better today, right? icon_rolleyes.gif

16 replies
jmchao Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmchao Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 3:59pm
post #2 of 17

I can only get better from here!! icon_smile.gif

cblupe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cblupe Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 4:11pm
post #3 of 17

That stinks! Hope everything is smooth sailing from here on.

BUT what uses the batteries??

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 4:26pm
post #4 of 17

some days are diamonds - some days are just full of puddles

Hopoefully your new cake and the rest of your day will be wonderful for you... icon_smile.gifbirthday.gif

Bluehue.

flamingobaker Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 4:40pm
post #5 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by cblupe

My digital scale! (I know, I could've just measured - but it's SO much easier on the scale now!)

Thanks everyone for the kind words! icon_biggrin.gif

mombabytiger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mombabytiger Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 7:16pm
post #6 of 17

And who among us has not lost count of the eggs we've put in the batter and gone through the trash trying to count eggshells? Oh. Is that just me? icon_eek.gif

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 7:41pm
post #7 of 17

Huh, , what a sucky day! Now your in line with karma to have a really great one soon icon_smile.gif

And mombabytiger . . Every time, i have a really terrible memory, so i purposley crack my eggs into a smaller bowl first lol

Christy0722 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Christy0722 Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 7:48pm
post #8 of 17

Sounds like my night last night! Get home from work...feeling great! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif So full of energy...gonna get a lot accomplished. I'm doing the wedding cake for my cousin this weekend. Start putting ingredients in the bowl...phone rings...it's my hubby. Gonna be home late...need to go feed horses. Ok..no problem. Will go as soon as I bake these cakes. Finish mixing batter...bake cakes. They look so light and fluffy!! Beautiful!! thumbs_up.gif UNTIL icon_surprised.gif ........i look over on the counter and I forgot to put the oil in the batter. icon_eek.gificon_mad.giftapedshut.gif
Had to start all over again....this time with my phone on SILENT!! icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

I feel your pain and send you "hugs"!!!

flamingobaker Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 8:51pm
post #9 of 17

great stories guy!

I have it in my head that I have the WASC recipe "memorized", so I don't always look at it...of course that's when the phone rings, itec, and I forget stuff! You'd think I'd learn by now?

sweetheart6710 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetheart6710 Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 9:44pm
post #10 of 17

I'm in the middle of baking 2 cakes, one mickey mouse, one minnie. so I put the choc cake in the oven, but end up obsessing over getting my red icing red enough. Needless to say, the top of the cake is a tiny bit over done, but we cut that off right?? Then I move on to my vanilla (both recipes are just normal box). I remember how much oil I put in the choc (1/2 cup) and just throw that into the vanilla... then I flip the box around, directions say 2 tablespoons! CRAP! So I hurry will a little spoon and manage to scoop most of it out.. Lets just pray my cake is VERY moist and not ruined. I hate bad cake days.

Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 10:41pm
post #11 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingobaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cblupe

My digital scale! (I know, I could've just measured - but it's SO much easier on the scale now!)

Thanks everyone for the kind words! icon_biggrin.gif

I was wondering that too!

Herekittykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Herekittykitty Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 11:10pm
post #12 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by mombabytiger

And who among us has not lost count of the eggs we've put in the batter and gone through the trash trying to count eggshells? Oh. Is that just me? icon_eek.gif

Shells go back in the carton. That way as long as I know how many whole eggs I started with, I know how many I've used (plus the freshly opened eggs are still wet.)

KimmyKakes4Me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimmyKakes4Me Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 11:31pm
post #13 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herekittykitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by mombabytiger

Shells go back in the carton. That way as long as I know how many whole eggs I started with, I know how many I've used (plus the freshly opened eggs are still wet.)

Always.

Herekittykitty Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 11:37pm
post #14 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christy0722

Sounds like my night last night! Get home from work...feeling great! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif So full of energy...gonna get a lot accomplished. I'm doing the wedding cake for my cousin this weekend. Start putting ingredients in the bowl...phone rings...it's my hubby. Gonna be home late...need to go feed horses. Ok..no problem. Will go as soon as I bake these cakes. Finish mixing batter...bake cakes. They look so light and fluffy!! Beautiful!! thumbs_up.gif UNTIL icon_surprised.gif ........i look over on the counter and I forgot to put the oil in the batter. icon_eek.gificon_mad.giftapedshut.gif
Had to start all over again....this time with my phone on SILENT!! icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

I feel your pain and send you "hugs"!!!

Ummm... when did the hungry horsies get fed? icon_confused.gif Hungry, hungry horsies.

lollyponpon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lollyponpon Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 11:54pm
post #15 of 17

ohhh boy this was me yesterday...i dropped a cracked, but whole egg into the processor while it was on, and then in a panic had to switch it off and try to fish out pieces of egg shell... then the cocoa part of the cake left great big lumps of dry cocoa, then it went into the oven, covered in foil and when i checke on it after 2HRS was still soggy in the middle.. the nail wasnt in the tin... and so i stayed up hoping it was able to be saved, turned it out and am seriously seriously reconsidering baking the cake today, the only major issue is it is due tomorrow.
it's one of those cakes for a friends family member, only getting paid ingredients (if that) and she has been so vague about the design that i just dont have the inclination to make it... no wonder the poor cake is suffering.... there is just no love there!!
i'm oing to the super market now to check the box mix aisles. haha from what i see on here people cant "taste the difference" apparently so i think ill just get a few box mixes and whammo
that way i can dissect yesterdays disaster, and if the centre of the cake is good, have a go at making these things i keep hearing about called "cake balls!!"
yippeeee!

Christy0722 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Christy0722 Posted 19 Sep 2010 , 2:23pm
post #16 of 17

HereKittyitty ~ Don't worry...horsies got fed while the disaster cakes cooled. I didn't realize that I had left the oil out until after I got back from the barn. Yeah, I was a little late but they ate before I did! icon_lol.gif

Herekittykitty Posted 19 Sep 2010 , 5:45pm
post #17 of 17

Whew! icon_wink.gif

Isn't that the worst when you realize that something was forgotten and have to rebake?

Did everything come out all right in the end?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%