How Do I Make Buttercream 'shimmer'?

Decorating By zespri Updated 17 Sep 2010 , 12:50pm by poohsmomma

zespri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zespri Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 8:11am
post #1 of 9

I would like to try making a dragon and ice him with buttercream. I've never used lustre dust before, is that what I'd use to make him shimmery? How does one apply the lustre dust? Buttercream on it's own is kinda dull.......

8 replies
brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 10:06am
post #2 of 9

Lustre dust or pearl dust. Lustres more a coloured metalic shimmer, pearl dust is pearlescent sheen with a touch of colour.
If ur bc crusts, then I'd use a bc brush to brush it on. If it's non crating, I'm not sure - maybe tapping the brush above the cake.
xx

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 12:57pm
post #3 of 9

You can also buy aerosol cans of shimmer spray. I have used PME (brand) Luster Spray in pearl (color).

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 1:19pm
post #4 of 9

I piped Little Mermaid on a cake. After the icing was cold and hard, I took a soft paint brush and painted her fin/skirt thingy. Came out VERY shimmery. Luster dust comes in tons of colors. I had used a teal butter cream color and painted with a green luster dust.

drakegore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drakegore Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 2:01pm
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohsmomma

You can also buy aerosol cans of shimmer spray. I have used PME (brand) Luster Spray in pearl (color).

ditto icon_smile.gif. i love this stuff and have used pearl, silver, and gold. it is fantastic stuff!

Minstrelmiss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Minstrelmiss Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 2:18pm
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by drakegore

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohsmomma

ditto icon_smile.gif. i love this stuff and have used pearl, silver, and gold. it is fantastic stuff!

Me too, easy to use and hard to mess up! A double bonus for me icon_biggrin.gif

zespri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zespri Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 7:38pm
post #7 of 9

thanks folks! And thanks for explaining the difference between lustre dust and pearl dust brincess_b. I'm glad you did, but now I'm not sure which to buy!

I would certainly consider the spray cans, but have not yet seen them for sale here.

felecia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
felecia Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 8:48pm
post #8 of 9

OMG!!! Glad I looked at this!! Love the shimmer spray...gonna buy this!!

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 12:50pm
post #9 of 9

You can get the shimmer spray at Global Sugar Art.

http://www.globalsugarart.com/

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%