Can You Steam Gumpaste To Make It Shiny?

Decorating By JGMB Updated 16 Sep 2010 , 3:59pm by Elcee

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 7:40pm
post #1 of 3

I've seen cakers on TV steam fondant to make it shiny. Can you do the same with gumpaste? I'd really love to know ASAP, as the numbers for a topper for tomorrow's cake look pretty dull and lifeless. Thanks!!

2 replies
pag41989 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pag41989 Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 7:41pm
post #2 of 3

You can. I did it with some leaves on one of my cakes. It didn't make that much of a difference though and it made them sort of soft again. I think I steamed them too long. You could maybe try some pearl dust on the numbers if you have a Michael's or hobby lobby near you. That would give them a shine.

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 3:59pm
post #3 of 3

Well, it's tomorrow now so this is probably too late but YES, you can. They don't come out shiny like steamed fondant but glossy so they are definitely richer and have more depth than unsteamed. I have started brushing my flowers with pearl dust or luster dust and steaming them and they come out beautifully. I hold them over a pot of boiling water just until they get glossy. I did that on the rose topper on the lime green wedding cake in my photos. I think I included a close up of the topper so you can see the effect.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%