What Cake And Buttercream Recipe Do You Use The Most?

Baking By wannabe_cake_maker Updated 3 Oct 2010 , 1:40am by sweetlybaked

wannabe_cake_maker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wannabe_cake_maker Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 6:38pm
post #1 of 25

Hey all, I generally use the chocolate and white WASC cake the most with a version of indydebi's BC (I just take away some of the crisco and add some butter) often as I have made the recipes alot and know they work out.

What is the recipe you use most often and for what flavour for cake (example, cake mix that is extended like WASC or scratch)?

What is the recipe you use most often and for what flavour for buttercream (example, butter based, crisco based or SMBC)?

I get alot of comments about my icing being very sweet and sometimes the crisco in the icing leaves a little bit of a slimy feeling in the mouth. Has anyone else had this problem?

24 replies
juleskaye518 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juleskaye518 Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 6:55pm
post #2 of 25

I WASC everything. I have gotten some pretty awesome compliments too, which is why I continue WASCing!! For BC, I use twice as much butter as crisco, and a bit of skim milk, and beat the hell out of it. (And of course PS) So fluffy, and much improved from my first adventures outside of the "tub" of frosting.

martmarg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
martmarg Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 7:11pm
post #3 of 25

i use a doctored recipe for yellow cake from this site and do that to all my flavors and the WASC of course....for frosting i use just regular Wilton recipe and add milk to it and change the extracts if I want a different flavor...

dinascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dinascakes Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 7:41pm
post #4 of 25

I always use variations of the WASC recipe and Indydebi's buttercream. And people always love them. I always use all crisco BC being in Miami. It's sooo hot! And evereything here just tends to melt, but her BC holds up to the heat and humidity. Never had a problem with a slimy feeling in the mouth. Her BC tastes great!!

wannabe_cake_maker Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 8:56pm
post #5 of 25

Anyone else?

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 9:12pm
post #6 of 25

I do not like the American icings like IndyDebs, it is too sweet for me. I don't like the buttercreams where it is butter, PS and milk, too grainy. I always use Italian meringue Buttercream or ganache.

Banoffee (Banana and chocolate cupcake) with caramel IMBC and caramel filling, Vanilla with passionfruit filling and white chocolate IMBC, "Ferrero Rocher" (Hazelnut & Choc Chunks) with IMBC and nutella filling... my tasters love these icon_smile.gif

mfoxx9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mfoxx9 Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 9:13pm
post #7 of 25

I use WASC most often, but if I don't need that much batter, I just doctor a cake mix with pudding mix, an extra egg and a little extra oil. My most popular flavors are french vanilla and almond. I'm still working on finding a good chocolate recipe. I've tried some scratch recipes and some doctored mix recipes, and I can't find anything that works well for carving, but also tastes great. It's a work in progress.

I use Indydebi's BC recipe (all Crisco), but I alter the flavorings and add a little bit of salt to make it not quite so sweet.

TickleMySweetTooth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TickleMySweetTooth Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 3:29am
post #8 of 25

always from scratch cakes & SMBC . lots of my cake recipes are acquired over the years

sweetlybaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetlybaked Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 3:49am
post #9 of 25

I use the BC recipe that is half butter half crisco. It's half salted and half unsalted butter. It's delicious. Usually WASC cakes except chocolate which is the ever so moist chocolate cake. Always moist, always delicious. Carves well too!

Normita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Normita Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 3:59am
post #10 of 25

I also use the WASC and its variations. For icing I primarily use SMBC...soooo good. But I have also used Indydebi and Sugarshacks shortening based BC due to the heat. However, SMBC is super good, easy to smooth and I can use that as a base for other flavors....strawberry SMBC, mint SMBC...etc

ttfnvj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ttfnvj Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 4:20am
post #11 of 25

does anyone know where i can look at indydebi's bc recipe? still trying to figure out this website. thanks a bunch!

Normita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Normita Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 5:00am
post #12 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttfnvj

does anyone know where i can look at indydebi's bc recipe? still trying to figure out this website. thanks a bunch!

Here you go:

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/6992/indydebis-crisco-based-buttercream-icing

mfoxx9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mfoxx9 Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 12:11pm
post #13 of 25

sweetlybaked - where do I find the ever so moist chocolate cake recipe? I'd like to give it a try. Thanks!

sweetpea223 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetpea223 Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 12:42pm
post #14 of 25

I'm not a fan of powdered sugar icing...so I use SMBC for my cakes and my family and friends love it. As for cakes, I normally use scratch cake recipes and tend to lean more on chocolate and vanilla cakes.

wannabe_cake_maker Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 1:10pm
post #15 of 25

What is the difference between IMBC and SMBC?

Don't you find these kind of BC's too buttery?

sweetpea223 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetpea223 Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 1:18pm
post #16 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabe_cake_maker

What is the difference between IMBC and SMBC?

IMBC = you melt the sugar into syrup till it reaches 238 degrees.... beating the eggwhites first until stiff but not dry, then add the syrup slowly until smooth, then add butter

SMBC = you heat on double boiler the eggwhites and sugar until 140 degrees, then whip them on high speed until the bottom of bowl is cool enough, then add butter

michel30014 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michel30014 Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 1:19pm
post #17 of 25

Ok, I know it seems like cheating but I use cake mixes. (Guess, I've never felt completely comfortable about making it from scratch.) Maybe one day, I will try the wonderful recipes on here, like the WASC. lol Duncan Hines is the fave but I have used Betty Crocker with pretty good results. So, the most popular flavors are French Vanilla and my Swiss Chocolate cakes. Both by Duncan Hines but both recipes are usually doctored and extended. Betty Crockers Golden Vanilla got rave reviews, also. As far as icing, I always use a buttercream with half butter and half Crisco or use Indydebis buttercream recipe in instances where I need it to stand up to the heat. Never had a complaint about the shortening leaving a slimy feeling in the mouth.

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 1:23pm
post #18 of 25

White WASC is my most requested. My chocolate cake is my 2nd most requested. I use cooled brewed coffee for 100% of my liquid. Everyone loves it. I love yellow cake, but no one really orders it much. Yellow cake and chocoalte icing is the best combo in my opinion.

My buttercream is "buttercream dream" here from the recipe section...half butter - half crisco. If I am transporting a tiered cake in the summer, I will eliminate the butter and use a crisco based butter cream.

Malakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Malakin Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 1:36pm
post #19 of 25

My fav is a lavender infused white cake with a lemon lavender bc.

Tea42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tea42 Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 1:49pm
post #20 of 25

I'm getting closer to 60 than 50 and would never let a mix in my house. That was until recently, I am now using the WASC base for cakes, everyone is raving about them. I am not carving cakes at this time and wouldn't mind if they were not so dense but the taste and moistness makes up for that.

I'm still experiementing with icings, the wilton recipe has been my standby. I'm trying SugarShack's recipe now and not completely sold on it yet. (Only tried it once)

BREN28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BREN28 Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 3:57pm
post #21 of 25

i use the WASC variations also. i use the american buttercream with the high ratio shorntening,which i love,but my son and husband dont really like this buttercream (too sweet for them),so i once tried the SMBC, but my son thought it tasted like a stick of butter.so i switched to whip & ice for his cake's and he love's it!

zespri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zespri Posted 2 Oct 2010 , 6:24am
post #22 of 25

I just read another thread which said if you use whole eggs instead of just egg whites in the WASC recipe it won't be so dense, maybe you could try that if you don't like it so dense? I'm assuming you'd halve the number (as in, 6 egg whites would become 3 whole eggs).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tea42

I'm getting closer to 60 than 50 and would never let a mix in my house. That was until recently, I am now using the WASC base for cakes, everyone is raving about them. I am not carving cakes at this time and wouldn't mind if they were not so dense but the taste and moistness makes up for that.

I'm still experiementing with icings, the wilton recipe has been my standby. I'm trying SugarShack's recipe now and not completely sold on it yet. (Only tried it once)

Tea42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tea42 Posted 2 Oct 2010 , 6:36am
post #23 of 25

Thanks for the info zespri, I'll keep that in mind.

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 2 Oct 2010 , 7:22am
post #24 of 25

I've not made a lot of cakes as yet (about 20), but I've just followed the Cake Doctor's recipes for WASC and Darned good chocolate cake (without the choc chips) exactly as they are listed in her book. I use Duncan Hines or Betty Crocker. The Darned Good Choc cake is superb in cupcakes, but I think it is too moist and dense for cakes (even tho everyone else loved it).

Recently I used Janette Pohlman's recipe for a WASC-type version for pound cake that uses cream cheese instead of sour cream to make a pound cake. OMG! Swirl in some raspberry sleeve filling and you are in heaven!

sweetlybaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetlybaked Posted 3 Oct 2010 , 1:40am
post #25 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfoxx9

sweetlybaked - where do I find the ever so moist chocolate cake recipe? I'd like to give it a try. Thanks!

mfoxx, here it is. I'm not sure where i got the recipe, I believe the cake mix doctor book?!

1 chocolate cake mix with pudding added (I use BC and add a box of pudding)
3 eggs
1 C sour cream
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 C oil
3/4 C water
Bake at 350

I love this cake. It is moist EVERYTIME!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%