Ganache Left Out Overnight?

Decorating By tootie0809 Updated 15 Sep 2010 , 7:29pm by tootie0809

tootie0809 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootie0809 Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 4:08pm
post #1 of 7

I made 2 batches of white chocolate ganache yesterday afternoon. I normally let them cool on the counter for a few hours before I put them in the fridge. Well, things came up, and I completely forgot they were on the counter still until this morning when I came into my bakery and there they were still sitting out without being refrigerated. I've read some places ganache has a 2-day room-temperature shelf life, but this doesn't seem possible with the heavy cream in them that spoils so quickly. Do I just toss them (hate to do that because real white chocolate is so darn expensive, but don't want to risk any possibility it has gone bad.)

Help!

6 replies
sumerae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sumerae Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 6:11pm
post #2 of 7

I wish I knew! I've asked this same question on a ganache post just within the last week and still haven't gotten an answer! I've got a groom's cake where they really want ganache but it'll have to be out from thurs-sat.

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 6:18pm
post #3 of 7

You can leave ganache out at room temperature. That's how Sharon Zambito does it on her DVD for her topsy turvy cake. The sugar content does something that counteracts the cream from going bad.

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 6:19pm
post #4 of 7

A lot of people don't refrigerate. This from (baking911)

Question: Why doesn't ganache need refrigeration?

Answer: Because of its high content of sugar and fat. Micro-organisms need water to grow. When the sugar content is so high, the sugar binds the water in such a way that micro-organisms cannot utilize it. Technically its called "water activity control."

You have to have a Classic Ganache Recipe that uses high fat heavy cream with chocolate, and then it can be generally stored on the cool side of room temperature for about 2 days only, IF emulsified properly, with the proper balance of ingredients, otherwise refrigerate.

sumerae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sumerae Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 6:20pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by msulli10

You can leave ganache out at room temperature. That's how Sharon Zambito does it on her DVD for her topsy turvy cake. The sugar content does something that counteracts the cream from going bad.

THANK YOU!! So it'd be okay if it sat out (on an iced cake from thurs. evening until sat?

KimmyKakes4Me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimmyKakes4Me Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 6:20pm
post #6 of 7

It's supposed to sit and rest overnight.

tootie0809 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootie0809 Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 7:29pm
post #7 of 7

Does it matter if it's white chocolate versus dark chocolate? I used a 3:1 ratio (48 ounces of white chocolate to 16 ounces of heavy whipping cream). I tossed one batch already, but still have the other one sitting on the counter.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%