Using Cricut To Cut Stencils For Cakes, Anyone Doing This??

Decorating By dreamacres Updated 30 Jan 2019 , 2:10am by gateauxenfoliemtl

dreamacres Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dreamacres Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 3:08pm
post #1 of 7

I light bulb just went off!! I have a new spray paint set for cakes and a cricut. Just wondering why I am rolling gumpaste, waiting for it to dry, cutting it out, hoping it doesn't break and putting on cakes. Has anyone tried cutting stencils with their cricut and just spraying on the designs?? If you are, do you use freezer paper or vinyl or what for the best results.

6 replies
Malakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Malakin Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 3:21pm
post #2 of 7

Wow, that's a really great idea! I don't see why it wouldn't work. I'll be watching this post.

sewsweet2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sewsweet2 Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 6:46pm
post #3 of 7

I have made stencils with my cricut. I have cut regular typing paper for a one time airbrush stencil. I have also used overhead projector sheets to make stencils for buttercream stenciling.

cloetzu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cloetzu Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 6:16pm
post #4 of 7

i actually did just that with airbrushing and used overhead projection sheets... i used a tiny bit of crisco on the fondant to hold the sheet in place (on the sides of the cake)

MariaK38 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaK38 Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 8:53pm
post #5 of 7

dreamacres, which spray paint set do you have? I'm in the middle of doing 150 cupcake toppers with my cricut and fondant... I wish I would have thought of the stencil idea... it would have saved time.
Thanks!

mmgiles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmgiles Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 9:26pm
post #6 of 7

I've done this with cheap cardstock for a onetime use project but I've considered buying the stencil paper at walmart for when I think I'll use them more than once. I've only used buttercream so far, but I bought a stencil to use with my airbrush, I just havent tried it yet.

I'll be doing this soon with some monogram cookies for a bridal shower.

gateauxenfoliemtl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gateauxenfoliemtl Posted 30 Jan 2019 , 2:10am
post #7 of 7

Which Cricut machines are you using?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%