My Edible Printer Nightmare!!!!

Decorating By Mikel79 Updated 21 Jun 2011 , 7:28pm by icingimages

Mikel79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikel79 Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 1:10pm
post #1 of 37

Hi Cakers!!

I am posting this in the hopes it will help someone that is having edible printer issues. I have a dear friend that wanted me to do a Snow White cake for her daughter. I was excited about this!! I had an idea in mind that included two edible images. I went to go print Snow White and to my surprise she looked awful. It was faded and the black was now a light gray? WTF? Through the amazing help of Debbie from icingimages.com I purchased a Steam Cleaner. Received it in a few days and I steamed the crap out of my Printer Head. No joke when I say that I had to refill the steamer 3 TIMES! By the end of the third refill no more ink was coming out.

Inserted the Printer head back in the printer and printed a nozzle check. Here we are again! Now it is not printing the black and all colors are a faded pink. The directions from the Steamer say that it might take a few nozzle checks to print correctly. Well, I lost count. All I know is that I had 23 PAGES of nozzles checks. I had to do about 5 regular and deep cleaning from my printer properties. By page 19 the colors were staring to come back.

If someone reading this is having issues with their printer, I strongly recommend a steamer. It really has helped me out so much. In addition, Debbie recommends printing something at least once a week to avoid clogs. I have included a link to my Snow White cake to show how clear it came out. It really is printing better than day 1.

HTH!!!

Thanks,

Michael
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1804087.html

36 replies
1234me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1234me Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 1:24pm
post #2 of 37

don't have a printer but wanted to say your cake is beautiful!

Mikel79 Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 4:06pm
post #3 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1234me

don't have a printer but wanted to say your cake is beautiful!

Thank you 1234!!

You will not regret the purchase of a Edible printer!!

Thanks again!

Michael

Mikel79 Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 7:42pm
post #4 of 37

I guess I should not assume everyone knows what a Edible printer is. For those who are wondering, it is just a regular everyday printer that is dedicated for cakes only. You purchase ink that is filled with food coloring and print away.

I bought mine from Amazon.com

HTH
icon_wink.gif

Michael

newcakester Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newcakester Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 8:45pm
post #5 of 37

Do you mind sharing what kind of printer you have? I am thinking of getting one, but don't know alot about the different brands/models.

Mikel79 Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 9:08pm
post #6 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcakester

Do you mind sharing what kind of printer you have? I am thinking of getting one, but don't know alot about the different brands/models.

Hi Newcakester!

Canon and Epson seem to be the top choice for edible printers. I have a Canon IP4700. I really am pleased with it. There is an port on it that I can hook my digital camera into and print photos on frosting sheets!

HTH

Michael

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 9:26pm
post #7 of 37

I just wanted to comment that I had a similar problem with my edible printer a few weeks ago. But in my case, it happened when I added new ink and the prints were coming out just like you describe them icon_mad.gif I also did many (lost count of how many) nossle checks and wasted a lot of ink. icon_cry.gif And guess what? at one point I walked away for about 2 hours and when I came back I check again and the prints came out perfect!!!! icon_smile.gif so I'm guessing that the ink needed to settle....(maybe?)

BTW, I have an Epson printer and order my ink from Kopycake

angelwings1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelwings1 Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 9:39pm
post #8 of 37

I don't have an edible image printer either, but would LOVE to have one! ) *wiping drool off my chin* Not in the budget right now. Just wanted to say that the Cinderella cake is beautiful!

bethasd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethasd Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 10:00pm
post #9 of 37

I have a Canon ip4600 and had/have similar issues. I think it has something to do with the chips on the ink tanks. I had tanks replaced by Canon (so I could get new chips) and got replacement tanks from Kopykakes. It is still super fussy though. I reinstalled the software which seemed to help. Guess I could buy a more expensive printer but I have $75 worth of new ink so that'll have to wait.

haymeli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
haymeli Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 10:06pm
post #10 of 37

I have an IP4600 and use icing images. I do have some trouble when I do not use it often, but after a cpuple of head cleaning it works great. Also sometimes I take the cartridges out and poke the hole where the ink comes out with a toothpick and it helps get the ink flowing.

Mikel79 Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 11:57pm
post #11 of 37

Haymeli...

I have done something similar as well. I used Q-tips and cleaned the ports. It has worked.

I am sold on icingimages.com I am curious if anyone has purchased their ink before. I currently have KopyKake ink and almost out.

Thoughts?

Michael

dorie67 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dorie67 Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 12:09am
post #12 of 37

Beautiful cake! princess.gif

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 12:24am
post #13 of 37

I highly recommend the ink from icing images over kopykake. I've been using the gold label inks they have and they are far superior.

gingerbreadtogo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gingerbreadtogo Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 12:38am
post #14 of 37

I feel your pain about fixing clogs and colors not printing. When I run out of my kopykake ink, I'm definitely going to order from Icing Images. I have a Canon ip3600. I do print every few days just to keep ink moving along.

MissBlu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissBlu Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 2:37am
post #15 of 37

Thanks for the learning experience!

Your cake is amazing! thumbs_up.gif

Mikel79 Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 9:40am
post #16 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbreadtogo

I feel your pain about fixing clogs and colors not printing. When I run out of my kopykake ink, I'm definitely going to order from Icing Images. I have a Canon ip3600. I do print every few days just to keep ink moving along.

Good point! I think I am going to print every couple of days! I am glad to hear that icingimages inks are a thumbs up!

Thank you everyone for the nice words!

Michael thumbs_up.gif

icingimages Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingimages Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 2:03pm
post #17 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by bethasd

I have a Canon ip4600 and had/have similar issues. I think it has something to do with the chips on the ink tanks. I had tanks replaced by Canon (so I could get new chips) and got replacement tanks from Kopykakes. It is still super fussy though. I reinstalled the software which seemed to help. Guess I could buy a more expensive printer but I have $75 worth of new ink so that'll have to wait.

Hi Bethasd: The chips do not cause that type of problem. Ink flow can however. I am confused, you are having to replace chips on cartridges still? I didnt know there were companies still selling cartridges unchipped.

Mikel Bravo on the cake! I am glad it all worked for you. Contact me any time you need anything, I will be glad to help.

bethasd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethasd Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 2:11pm
post #18 of 37

I had brand new full cartridges and my computer kept saying that my black tank was empty. Didn't matter which tank was inserted, computer would not reconize it. It was clearly not empty or clogged because it was brand new.

I did not buy tanks without chips, just got new tanks directly from Canon so I could replace the corrupted chips. Now that chips have been replaced, computer recognizes full tanks.

I do still have problems getting the black to print fully. Repeated head cleaning, etc. only seems to drain the tanks.

JessHelper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JessHelper Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 2:59pm
post #19 of 37

Sorry to necro post, but I have an Epson NX510 and it's nothing but trouble.It printed ok at first but quickly ran out of ink.Ordered a refill kit from the same ebay seller that sold me the printer.I've done more head cleanings and nozzles checks than I can count.I still have missing segments.I can print pictures, but they have lines and just look terrible.The seller has been very helpful, but so far nothing has worked.I think I may take this printer out back and shoot it.

icingimages Posted 10 Jun 2011 , 1:18pm
post #20 of 37

I spoke to one of my friendly competitors who recently took on a bunch of those printers and is telling me he is having nothing but problems. THis guy is very knowledgeable and is ready to just chuck all the nx510s out the window. Sometimes you may want to cut your losses. Next time, I would recommend canon.

Bethasd: I know this is part of an old post, but purchasing the cartridges and then adding the chips seems rather expensive. DId you ever get your problems resolved? If not, give us a call, we may carry the prechipped cartrdiges for you or be able to give you some tips.

Best of luck to you both

Rosie2 Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 5:42pm
post #21 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by icingimages

THis guy is very knowledgeable and is ready to just chuck all the nx510s out the window.

Oh shucks, and I just bought and NX510 from Epson icon_cry.gif

icingimages Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 5:43pm
post #22 of 37

Can you return it or use it for non edible printing?

Rosie2 Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 5:48pm
post #23 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by icingimages

Can you return it or use it for non edible printing?

Yeah, I guess I could always use if for non-edible printing. But, I'll try the edible first and see how it goes icon_smile.gif

Thanks a lot for your help! thumbs_up.gif

icingimages Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 5:58pm
post #24 of 37

No problem, I am always here to answer any questions.

kello Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kello Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 5:58pm
post #25 of 37

I'm going out to purchase a steamer to clean my printer. I bought new cartridges because my yellow keeps getting contaminated with either the blue or black and keeps turning a greenish color.....it's happened twice now. Any suggestions as to what is going on?
I have the Canon ip3600.

icingimages Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 6:01pm
post #26 of 37

Make sure you do not take your cartridges out unless absolutely necessary. When taking cartrdiges out, make sure you always start with the yellow and be sure that that is the first cartridge to go back in. Why are you steaming your printer? You only need that if you get a clog. Before you do that, run 1 deep cleaning and then a nozzle check to see if the yellow clears up.

kello Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kello Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 6:25pm
post #27 of 37

Thanks, but I have not taken out my cartridges until that happened. Last time I printed, the colors were very dull and not sharp. I noticed that the yellow (new one) was colored again. I have done many deep cleans....figured I would try cleaning the head too.
The first time the yellow got contaminated, I noticed black had leaked from somewhere, but couldn't tell where. It was on the outside of the cartridge....I had not taken them out before that) Once the yellow is looking green again, wouldn't I have to replace it again? Isn't that why the images are coming out dull, off color and awful looking? I have the gold labels too. I'm just so frustrated.....

icingimages Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 6:28pm
post #28 of 37

Do you refill?

JessHelper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JessHelper Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 6:50pm
post #29 of 37

I did finally get mine to print something acceptable.Only problem is once it did it had some black smudges. thumbsdown.gif So I haven't thrown it out the window yet, but that doesn't mean it won't happen at some point.I'm glad I bought a refill kit for $50 instead of new color cartridges for $60.I've used about half of all the refill colors trying to get this thing working.It does seem to work better with higher resolution pics.The lower resolution pics tend to have lines in them.

icingimages Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 7:16pm
post #30 of 37

Jess: It may be the printer settings. Try changing the printer paper setting to matte. See if that helps

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%