How To Bake The Perfect "muffin Top" Cupcakes????

Baking By itzjstmoi Updated 9 Jan 2014 , 8:59pm by muffintopmagic

itzjstmoi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itzjstmoi Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 4:34am
post #1 of 24

I would just like advice on how to get the perfect, rounded, "muffin top" cupcakes. Do they require certain recipes? Additions to regular cake recipes? What? Please help! icon_smile.gif

23 replies
itzjstmoi Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 4:22pm
post #2 of 24

Okay 23 people have looked at this, can anyone out there help? Any advice at all??? Please icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 4:29pm
post #3 of 24

I think it's just the amount of batter.
Do you measure? Threads talking about it seem to agree on 1/3 cup batter per 'normal' cup pan.

kileyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kileyscakes Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 4:36pm
post #4 of 24

also try starting the oven at 400 then after 5min turn down to 350 that is what a lot of people do on here with cupcakes. I just recently started doing that and it makes a big difference.
hth
ps I only use 1/4 cup scoop for my cupcakes and they are plenty big

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 5:24pm
post #5 of 24

Oh yes?...
What sort of recipe do you use? It sounds as though it rises nicely if you use 1/4 cup; do you beat your egg whites, or something? Give, give, girl! LOL

kileyscakes Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 5:28pm
post #6 of 24

actually all my recipes are based on the wasc recipe! Just docotred box mixes!

iluvpeeks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iluvpeeks Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 5:29pm
post #7 of 24

The suggestion for baking the cupcakes at 400 for 5 minutes than 325 for the rest of the time works great. Ever since I started doing this, I can always be sure that the cupcake will dome. Hasn't failed me yet not matter what recipe I use. I got the info from cakejournal, and on cc.

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKS Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 12:37pm
post #9 of 24

How long (total) do you bake your cupcakes for (using the 400 degree method for the first 5 min.)?

kileyscakes Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 2:11pm
post #10 of 24

I usually bake at 400 for 5 minutes and 350 for 10-13 minutes

Suzisweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suzisweet Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 2:16pm
post #11 of 24

The method I follow is similar but times are slightly different...7 minutes on 400 and reduce to 350 for 8 minutes. It works nicely and the dome is beautiful. Works well for most recipes. icon_biggrin.gif
Suzi

AKS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKS Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 4:46pm
post #12 of 24

Thanks!

TrixieTreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TrixieTreats Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 4:59pm
post #13 of 24

I also do the 400/350 method, but bring the oven to 400 and drop to 350 as soon as I put the cupcakes in. Don't have to babysit the oven as much, but still get the dome. I also fill about 2/3 full but have filled slightly more as well for a larger top, only a touch more. My times vary upon recipe. The range is anywhere from 14-18 minutes total. Then for a second batch, I increase the temp to 400 as soon as I pull out the pan and start all over.

itzjstmoi Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 5:59am
post #14 of 24

Oh, thanks so much everyone! Will certainly try measuring & the 400/350-325 method! Appreciate it icon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

chilz822 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chilz822 Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 4:29pm
post #15 of 24

How does this translate to a commercial convection oven? I'm about to begin using my rental kitchen and that's what they have... and I've never 'convected' before! lol

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 4:39pm
post #16 of 24

Instructions on my convection oven are to reduce baking temperatures by 25˚F. Mine is not a commercial though, so I hope it's the same across all ovens.

trishvanhoozer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trishvanhoozer Posted 25 Sep 2010 , 4:12am
post #17 of 24

Also with convection you have to reduce cooking time. I am going to try this cupcake technique this weekend. I will start with 375 degrees (convection) and drop down to 325 once I put the cupcakes in. I usually only have to bake them about 10 minutes in my convection oven (and I don't have the best brand in the world, but it is a good brand that I love love love)

chilz822 Posted 25 Sep 2010 , 10:52am
post #18 of 24

Ohhhh, would greatly appreciate hearing the results!

sugarjones Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarjones Posted 26 Sep 2010 , 3:14am
post #19 of 24

If you use doctored box mixes, Pioneer Woman has a doctored mix recipe that is PERFECTION! I've gone through a billion recipes and always had falling vanilla cupcakes, no matter what I tried (batter level changes, oven temp changes, etc). I mostly bake scratch but plain vanilla is the bane of my existence. I use the Pioneer Woman's instructions but also add pudding mix, and an extra 1/3 C milk/water as well as oil/butter. I also use bake them at 400 for 6 minutes and 325 for the rest of the time. Hope this helps icon_smile.gif

trishvanhoozer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trishvanhoozer Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 3:20pm
post #20 of 24

UPDATE FOR CONVECTION:
Okay, I did a test run on my cupcakes in my convection oven. I preheated to 375 convection and used 1/4 c batter for each cupcake. I put them in the oven and immediately reduced temp to 325 convection. I baked for 12 minutes. They rose beautifully and cooked evenly. I do rotate my pans at halfway mark to ensure even browning (I know you aren't supposed to have to in convection, but I am overly paranoid). However, using 1/4 cup batter in a non-doctored cake mix, (Duncan Hines) I had only enough to do 23 cupcakes.

chilz822 Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 3:59pm
post #21 of 24

awesome! thank you... I'm going to see if we can go in and do some experimental baking to familiarize ourselves with the oven difference before we're actually 'official'.
Thankst's great info!

tat2edprincess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tat2edprincess Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 11:15pm
post #22 of 24

i never heard of adjusting temps...i will try that...here's my trick...

i beat the batter....wait 5 minutes beat again for a bit...then put batter in a ziplock bag....cut a corner and almost "pipe" into the muffin tin....i get nice muffin tops

SweetDreamsBoutique Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetDreamsBoutique Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 5:03pm
post #23 of 24

I've done the 400, then drop to 350 as soon as i get the cupcakes in the oven. Depending on the recipe I use, I've had ones that spread instead of dome, ones that dome and then fall as soon as they cool, and using same recipe but different liners has given different results too. Crazy! I will definitely try waiting the 5 minutes before dropping the temp and see how that works.

muffintopmagic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
muffintopmagic Posted 9 Jan 2014 , 8:59pm
post #24 of 24

The best baking system for muffin tops, cupcake tops and many other snack items is muffin top magic.  Check out the website buymuffintopmagic.com.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%