Opinions Please, On Cricut

Decorating By madgeowens Updated 2 Oct 2010 , 6:23pm by Bela_Ann

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 1:01am
post #91 of 103

My birthdayis Monday and I did ask for it, but have to wait and see. I watched a youtube video and it sounded like you just save it to the file and then send it to the cricut and cut...I am hoping its as easy as he made it sound. I am still worried about it....hope its not going to be an expensive dust collector

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 2:24am
post #92 of 103

You need to roll it thin enough to see the lines of the mat through it. I also have the silhouette and prefer it to the cricut. I can print images on my edible image printer and cut them on the silhouette, something you can't do with a cricut.

madgeowens Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 2:28am
post #93 of 103

madgeowens Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 2:29am
post #94 of 103

well its too late for me to ask for silhouette now lol...I will have to wait and see what my birthday brings hehe

srkmilklady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
srkmilklady Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 2:33am
post #95 of 103

Too late for me too...I'll have to make the cricut work one way or another. Thanks for the youtube link Madge. Do you feel as intimidated as I do?? icon_eek.gif

madgeowens Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 3:03am
post #96 of 103

yeah hahaha....but I love gadgets and computers so I may be ok.....I can't believe this is my last year in the 50th decade wow.......I will be 60 next year....dont know how that happened lol

srkmilklady Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 3:23am
post #97 of 103

I'm not far behind you Madge...time flies when you're having fun! Hope you have a great birthday and you're having fun with a new cricut cake machine on Monday! icon_lol.gif

madgeowens Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 4:56am
post #98 of 103

THANKS.... I can't decide on a design for my own cake lol.......I am stuck...leaning(no pun intended) towards topsy turvy.....but have never done it and I am chicken lol...can't figure how many layers are needed for each tier lol

srkmilklady Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 5:08am
post #99 of 103

There's a great youtube tutorial that I've been watching because I have not done a topsy turvy yet either. I want to try it, but need to watch a bit more I think, but if it helps this is the link to it.

madgeowens Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 5:34am
post #100 of 103

Yes, I have watched it twice now lol. I also have sugarshacks dvd, but she does it differently and with ganache, and I did not feel comfortable with her way....janelles looks more like something I can do.......but I am not confident yet lol...I like to try something new on my birthday

awalkerm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awalkerm Posted 2 Oct 2010 , 3:01pm
post #101 of 103

anyone have an idea about silhouette SD machine and food safe and if its better then the cricut cake? other then not having to buy the cartridges which I think is a big bouns since they are soooo expensive.
I am looking to getting one or the other for severl projects I have in november (customers) so I need since lettering and a few other things

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 2 Oct 2010 , 5:29pm
post #102 of 103

I have a Cricut Personal, an airbrush, & an Agbay.

Since I've had my Cricut, I've used it very few times. It just takes too long to get the stupid thing out, hook it to the computer, find an image, size it correctly, & get your gp consistency correct. I know there's a learning curve, but I just don't have the time/patience! I've spent a lot of time and money trying to make it work. I have SCAL & Linda's dvd. I've had success cutting very simple shapes & that's about it. I think what's kept me from throwing it in the trash is the hopes that I may use it to cut cc wrappers @ some point or scrapbook.

I love my airbrush. Although I don't use it very often, I'm still glad that I have it. I just love spraying pearl on cakes or decor!

I wouldn't trade my Agbay for a Cricut or an airbrush! It's worth every penny. It's easy to use and cuts perfectly even cake layers! I just store mine on the top shelf of our linen closet.
JMO.

Bela_Ann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bela_Ann Posted 2 Oct 2010 , 6:23pm
post #103 of 103

Madge, I simply don't want to spoil the thought of having a a magical machine to create great master pieces. I too asked for a Cricut for my birthday and got it before it was open to the public. Ordered it on TV...weeks after I ordered it, I simply couldn't wait to try it out. OMG, I read, programed, uh, the attempts were hours of endless hours of wasted time!!

I finally realized that no matter if I used gumpaste, fondant, store bought, home made, etc, that it wasn't me. Wrapped up the beautiful red Cricut and sent my headache back to where it came from.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%