Decorating By madgeowens Updated 2 Oct 2010 , 6:23pm by Bela_Ann

UpAt2am Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
UpAt2am Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 10:09pm
post #31 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelwings1

Quote:
Originally Posted by alicialee

I just told my hubby this morning that I wanted a cake for Christmas!!!! This was before I saw how much the cartridges cost!! They are so expensive. I'm on the fence with it now... I'm sure I would use it a lot if I had it. Just not sure it is worth the money!

I've bought most of my cartridges off ebay. Just make sure they state that they're new in package, which most of them do. And, check the seller's rating. And, every now and then, Michael's or Jo-Ann's will have a killer sale. I've bought some for about $15. They don't do that very often, though, and you have to be quick. People will camp out to be first!! lol

don't spend money on cartridges...just buy SCAL (sure cuts a lot). you buy it for a one time fee of @ $60 and it's yours forever! it allows you to surf any image online and copy it the program. once it's copied, you just size it to whatever size you need and press cut! voila, the cricut cuts the image for you!!!

example, i needed a few different sizes of dog bones for a cake. i looked up "dog bones" on google images. found one i liked. saved it on my coputer, and opened it on my SCAL program. i hooked my cord from my computer to my cricut cake. rolled out my gumpaste on my mat and put it in the cricut. pressed cut and within seconds i have multiple bones, in different sizes! it prevented me from buying cookie cutters in all different sizes or finding a cartridge that had a dog bone on it. and of course, i didn't have to freehand all of them!

Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 10:23pm
post #32 of 103

I'm a hobby baker and nearly went out and bought one when they first came out...I'm glad I didn't though. A lot of the cakes I've now seen which used the cricut for decorations look all have a similar 'look' to them...you can tell instantly they used a cricut and TO ME it seems a bit like cheating or something. Granted, some people use it with a little more flair than others, but generally the cut out & slapped on look doesn't do much for me. I do think one would be great just for cutting font though (because I can't pipe text to save myself!), but whilst I'm not selling my cakes there's no way I can justify that amount of money for something I would only use for lettering.

angelwings1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelwings1 Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 10:24pm
post #33 of 103

[quote="UpAt2am
don't spend money on cartridges...just buy SCAL (sure cuts a lot). you buy it for a one time fee of @ $60 and it's yours forever! it allows you to surf any image online and copy it the program. once it's copied, you just size it to whatever size you need and press cut! voila, the cuts the image for you!!!

example, i needed a few different sizes of dog bones for a cake. i looked up "dog bones" on google images. found one i liked. saved it on my coputer, and opened it on my SCAL program. i hooked my cord from my computer to my cake. rolled out my gumpaste on my mat and put it in the . pressed cut and within seconds i have multiple bones, in different sizes! it prevented me from buying cookie cutters in all different sizes or finding a cartridge that had a dog bone on it. and of course, i didn't have to freehand all of them![/quote]

Is SCAL safe? It scares me a little, because I've read where it can mess up your Cricut and it invalidates your warranty. This is not personal knowledge, just what I've read.

KayMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 10:42pm
post #34 of 103

Those are lies put out by Provocraft so you don't buy SCAL or MTC. I've had an Expression for paper crafting for years and have used SCAL with it. It creates NO problems, and is easy to use. Don't buy into Provocraft's propaganda and be afraid of either SCAL or MTC. Both work great. Also, the cartridges from Provocraft are all so bloody 'cutesy' that it makes me sick to my stomach! They're all very similar, wtih little variation. SCAL gives you the universe of shapes to pick from.

angelwings1 Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 10:50pm
post #35 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayMc

Those are lies put out by Provocraft so you don't buy SCAL or MTC. I've had an Expression for paper crafting for years and have used SCAL with it. It creates NO problems, and is easy to use. Don't buy into Provocraft's propaganda and be afraid of either SCAL or MTC. Both work great. Also, the cartridges from Provocraft are all so bloody 'cutesy' that it makes me sick to my stomach! They're all very similar, wtih little variation. SCAL gives you the universe of shapes to pick from.

Okay, don't hurt me. *cringing* lol I don't know, as I said. It does sound wonderful.

KayMc Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 11:18pm
post #36 of 103

Oh, no! I wasn't blaming you! How would you know if you weren't using their products? No, please, I'm sorry you thought I meant that against you. That was more of my annoyance against Provocraft for their scare tactics. Please, forgive me. I honestly, honestly didn't mean anything against you!

angelwings1 Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 11:24pm
post #37 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayMc

Oh, no! I wasn't blaming you! How would you know if you weren't using their products? No, please, I'm sorry you thought I meant that against you. That was more of my annoyance against Provocraft for their scare tactics. Please, forgive me. I honestly, honestly didn't mean anything against you!

haha It's okay, I promise. I tend to be a little paranoid sometimes about those things. Like some little man is gonna jump out of the machine and yell at me if I don't follow directions exactly. lol I'll look into it. I love all of my Cricut cartridges (and I have a LOT!) but I do like the idea of being able to use other images if I see them. icon_smile.gif

psmith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psmith Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 11:30pm
post #38 of 103

I've been using SCAL since I got my Cricut. It is all I've ever used. I've never bought a cartridge. It has never messed up my machine. Works like a dream. I love that the sky's the limit as far as availability of graphics and sizing.

angelwings1 Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 11:32pm
post #39 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by psmith

I've been using SCAL since I got my . It is all I've ever used. I've never bought a cartridge. It has never messed up my machine. Works like a dream. I love that the sky's the limit as far as availability of graphics and sizing.

And it's easy to use? Not the most technologically gifted person in the world. icon_confused.gif

psmith Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 11:38pm
post #40 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelwings1

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmith

I've been using SCAL since I got my . It is all I've ever used. I've never bought a cartridge. It has never messed up my machine. Works like a dream. I love that the sky's the limit as far as availability of graphics and sizing.

And it's easy to use? Not the most technologically gifted person in the world. icon_confused.gif

I've experience with graphic art programs so it came fairly easy for me. There is a learning curve to using the program but once you play around with it, it is a lot of fun. There are you tube tutorials that are helpful and online help in the program itself.

KayMc Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 11:58pm
post #41 of 103

I am not gifted in this area, but have basic computer skills. I was able to figure it out fairly easily. Also, you can get lots of help with it online at different sites.

Suebee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suebee Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 12:00am
post #42 of 103

I love our Cricut Cake. IF you find an ad on line you can print it and take it to Michaels or AC Moore. We have lots of cookie cutters, but what's nice is you can adjust the size of your shapes. Great for Varsity Letters. We also use Inkscape and Make the Cut software. Love both. Our Blue and gray wedding cake was done with the Cricut.

srkmilklady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
srkmilklady Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 12:07am
post #43 of 103

Ok...now I'm getting excited. I told my DH about all your posts today and he said why don't you go and get one? So, I'm getting a Cricut Cake tomorrow! I really hope I can figure out the SCAL program. I have a school logo I have to put on a cake and didn't want to have to cut out all the letters individually, so I hope this will solve my problem. (fingers crossed!)

KayMc Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 12:17am
post #44 of 103

Man, I can't believe I did this. After reading this thread, and going to someone's photo gallery (I can't remember who, I'm sorry!!!), I went on to ebay and submitted a bid on a regular Expression. It's half the price of the Cricut Cake, and because I already have an Expression, I will just do the conversion to make it cake appropriate. I already have a brand new deep blade, so all I need is the cake mat.

I've been one of those people who thinks that all Cricut cakes look the same UNTIL I saw the great cake in a gallery that was made with circles on the side. Whoever made it, what a great cake!!! I've wanted the Cake for the fonts, and that circle cake picture convinced me to go ahead with it. Geesh, aren't I too old for peer pressure???????????? icon_redface.gif

srkmilklady Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 12:27am
post #45 of 103

So, now I'm confused...do I get a cricut cake or a cricut expression? Is it difficult to do the conversion? And how much will the "cake mat" and the "deep blade" cost? Does the expression do anything more than the cricut cake? Oh!!! What do I do?? icon_confused.gificon_redface.gif Any suggestions?

angelwings1 Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 12:30am
post #46 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by srkmilklady

So, now I'm confused...do I get a cake or a expression? Is it difficult to do the conversion? And how much will the "cake mat" and the "deep blade" cost? Does the expression do anything more than the cake? Oh!!! What do I do?? icon_confused.gificon_redface.gif Any suggestions?

The Cricut Cake has food-safe stainless steel rollers and inner workings plus protective silicone pieces to make it safe for food.

ALR1955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ALR1955 Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 12:30am
post #47 of 103

I have the cricut cake. It's ok.
You might want to consider the Silhouette.
Linda McClure uses it. She uses other machines too.
Check out her website. Maybe take a class from her
before you decide.

lolobell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lolobell Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 12:50am
post #48 of 103

i am THRILLED at this thread...because i have been wanting one of these since they came out but went recently to my local Michaels where they were holding a demonstration...it was terrible. the sheets they used were gumming up and sticking..it wasn't cutting...i felt awful for the poor lady giving the demonstration....but now that i've read all the positives....i'm going to assume that lady was having a bad day!!!!!!!!

thanks for the great info!!!!

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 1:05am
post #49 of 103

I have the cricut and the silhouette and the silouette far excedes the cricut, not to mention it's much less expensive and you don't have to buy cartridges. You can even print on gumpaste and cut out the image with the silouette. I use Make the Cut (similar to sure cuts a lot) and can cut or print any image I want without a cartridge.

KayMc Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 1:07am
post #50 of 103

I used to spend a lot of time on the Cricut forum, and a lot of the demonstrators didn't practice much before doing the demonstrations at the store. Don't ask me why, but I saw several of them mention that. And then, many of them had the same experience as what you saw. From the hundreds of posts I've read on this, you have to play and practice in order to get the right consistency of the fondant/gum paste that you use. There is a TON of info on it out there, so do your homework. Many have just given up and returned their machine.

You can also google how to convert an Expression to do the frosting. Some people are adamantly against it, but many people have done it. Linda McClure (originator of this process) sells the Silhouette for it, and it's not billed as food safe. Do your homework, and make your decision. Good luck!

grandmomof1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmomof1 Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 1:18am
post #51 of 103

I played with my cricut cake for three weeks. Hated it. I found I could cut out with an exacto faster than having to cut something repeatedly before getting an image suitable for use. Besides the cartridges are so expensive.

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 1:32am
post #52 of 103

You all have been so helpful. I decided to put both airbrush and cricut(with scal) lol on the list and let him decide lol....thanks so much.this has been a great post!!! keep it going I love it

lolobell Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 1:48am
post #53 of 103

i guess as with anything...there are pros and cons...likes and dislikes! i have a couple questions for you novice cricut users...

1. can you use MMF with it...? satin ice? or just gum paste?

2. what is the silhouette?

3. are the frosting sheets that you can buy to use with the machine very expensive?

Thanks!!!

lilscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilscakes Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 2:01am
post #54 of 103

I just purchased the Cricut cake and used it for the first time last weekend. I was in a hurry so purchased the icing sheets to use. Big mistake. They are awful to work with....very very dry, not to mention, very very expensive. Paid $30 for 3 sheets , most of which ended up in the garbage. I have some of Linda McLure's gumpaste in my freezer but haven't had a chance to try it out yet. I'm very hopeful that will produce better results.

psmith Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 2:02am
post #55 of 103

1. can you use MMF with it...? ? or just gum paste?
I use fondant and usually mix in a little gumpaste (you have to play with the mixture). I used only fondant for my Kokeshi Doll cake (in photos). I've used MMF, Modeling Chocolate, and Satin Ice.

2. what is the silhouette?
The silhouette is another machine similar to the Cricut.

3. are the frosting sheets that you can buy to use with the machine very expensive?
It is my understanding that they are the edible icing sheets used for image printing. I haven't used these as yet.

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 2:14am
post #56 of 103

also woke to know if you use mmf with a little tylose do you need to buy a special deep blade?I would love to see more pics posted of cakes done with cricut.....

lolobell Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 2:16am
post #57 of 103

thank you for the info!!!

i just got done researching the Silhouette SD and i guess i'm just a bit confused...it says nothing about being food safe or that it can be used with fondant/gumpaste......i guess i'm just a bit lost on this...it does seem like an overall more cost effective machine though....but if you purchase it...and use it with gumpaste/fondant...does that then mean you cannot use it for paper projects...?

srkmilklady Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 2:21am
post #58 of 103

Well, now that I have decided to buy a machine, I am totally confused. But I think I will stick with the cricut cake (food safe) and purchase the SCAL or Make the Cut software to use with it. Of course, now that's the other question...SCAL or Make the Cut??? Is one better than the other??

yummy_in_my_tummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy_in_my_tummy Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 2:30am
post #59 of 103

I just got my Cricut Cake today and I'm so excited! I've got my gumpaste in th freezer right now - wish me luck!! icon_biggrin.gif

Does anyone know about cutting other materials with the Cricut Cake? If I want to cut paper, do I need to tape it to the mat, or do I just stick the sheet of paper in the machine??

iluvpeeks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iluvpeeks Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 2:41am
post #60 of 103

I love the cricut cake. Like anything else, you have to figure out what works for you. Once you figure things out its pretty easy. I have also purchased the deep cut blade, and the sticky mats, and purchased the cupcake wrappers cartridge from Walmart.com. I made all the wrappers for cupcakes for my grandsons christening. There were 100 of them. I like the idea that you can use the machine with paper also. I have certainly got my moneys worth. Also, if you go to CuttingEdgeCakeArt.com, they have really good comparisons on the different machines. Another good thing is that if you sign up for their newsletter, you can get the gumpaste recipe they use for the cricut cake. It really works good. Hope you get everything for your birthday!
Kathy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%