Anyone Else Have Recent Problems With Walmart Powdered Sugar

Decorating By emhoughton Updated 29 Sep 2010 , 4:18am by KakeBear

emhoughton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emhoughton Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 2:19am
post #1 of 20

I've always used Walmart PS, [and I was making 1-2 cakes each week with the stuff], but a couple months ago I made a cake as usual and my usual icing came out tasting very strange. It was embarrassing to sell this cake to my friend who had been dying to try one of my cakes for so long. B/c of my busy schedule over the summer, it was a while again before I made another cake. When I finally did, I used a name brand instead and my icing came out normal again. Tonight I was whipping up a quick bowl of the icing for my daughters b-day cupcakes for school and I just grabbed one of the bags of WM PS that I still had from the time I made the icing which tasted funny. Again, it tastes awful! My husband says it doesn't taste sweet enough, which supports my theory that they put more corn starch in it than they should have. Also the consistency is lumpier than usual. I'm mad if this theory is true! Anyone else have this problem?

19 replies
step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 2:32am
post #2 of 20

hmmm...I hope this is not true! I have 6 bags of it in my cabinet right now. icon_sad.gif

angelwings1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelwings1 Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 2:38am
post #3 of 20

I've been using it, but haven't noticed anything wrong. Sorry this is happening to you.

itsmylife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itsmylife Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 2:41am
post #4 of 20

I've made several cakes in the last few weeks using it & haven't had any problems. Maybe the bags you bought were all from the same lot & there was a problem with that lot (too much cornstarch like you were saying, or something else).

Maybe try a bag from a different WalMart. Hopefully it's not some cost cutting thing that they've decided to do.

Liz23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Liz23 Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 3:04am
post #5 of 20

I made a batch of icing yesterday with the Walmart powdered sugar and it tastes fine.

maecpc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maecpc Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 3:15am
post #6 of 20

Thats what I use. I did 3 this past week that tasted normal! Good luck!

step0nmi Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 3:17am
post #7 of 20

*phew* glad to hear that frosting is ok with this ps icon_lol.gif

maybe you could tell us your recipe and how you are mixing it? it could be the batch...OR you may just need to sift the PS before adding to your mix.

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 3:49am
post #8 of 20

If you really want to know, dissolve a bag of each in cold water and let them sit. The sugar will go into solution and the cornstarch will fall to the bottom.

Pour off the water. Let it dry and measure the amount of cornstarch.

I year ago I was making cheesecakes and noticed the package was not quite full. Started weighing - some were off by almost 25 percent! Called the store to let them know what was going on with their brand. People sometimes make mistakes. Sometimes they cheap out and think no one will notice. We do!

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 3:59am
post #9 of 20

I'm so done with Wal-Mart. I posted a picture in the Lounge forum of a bug inside the layers of plastic wrap I got at Wal-mart. I've found black specs through out granulated sugar from there also. Don't even get me started on the produce, meat or milk.

If there is a Dollar General in your area, the powdered sugar they carry is awesome!! It's fine, never lumpy and has never ever given me trouble.
....and last time I checked was cheaper than Wal-Mart too.

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 4:00am
post #10 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewkyrankelly

If you really want to know, dissolve a bag of each in cold water and let them sit. The sugar will go into solution and the cornstarch will fall to the bottom.

I year ago I was making cheesecakes and noticed the package was not quite full. Started weighing - some were off by almost 25 percent! Called the store to let them know what was going on with their brand. People sometimes make mistakes. Sometimes they cheap out and think no one will notice. We do!

I had no idea about the water/powdered sugar test.

And yes.. they are constantly cheaping up things and I've had enough.

step0nmi Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 4:14am
post #11 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewkyrankelly

wow...this is the craziest test I've ever heard. good to know! thumbs_up.gif

jmchao Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmchao Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 4:18am
post #12 of 20

Actually, while I haven't noticed a difference in taste, I was thinking to myself a couple of weeks ago that the icing seemed grainier than usual. I used the same ol' recipe (Indybei's [spelling?]) crusting butter cream) and made no changes to liquids or shortening. But it seemed like it was grainier than normal. Hhhmmm....

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 7:47am
post #13 of 20

Some off brand powdered sugars are made from beets not cane sugar. I try to only use C & H powdered sugar but have used Sunny Select because it states that it's pure cane powdered sugar. Beet sugar doesn't taste the same.

cake_architect Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake_architect Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 8:30am
post #14 of 20

yes i noticed! you're not alone! a few weeks ago, maybe two or three, i made buttercream using my usual recipe and walmart powdered sugar and when i tasted it, it tasted off! like you said, not sweet enough, kind of a funny ugly flavor. i thought maybe it was my vanilla (i had switched brands) but the next day i made more bc with the same vanilla, this time using heb powdered sugar and it tasted fine! it was so odd... i too make about 2-3 cakes a week and this was the only time its ever happened to me! my sister couldn't taste the flavor i was talking about though, so i just assumed it was in my head until now!

julzs71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julzs71 Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 12:11pm
post #15 of 20

I went to Walmart this weekend to pick some up and got my 14 yr old son sat in the car and got car jacked. So now my son says only target stuff.

pag41989 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pag41989 Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 12:15pm
post #16 of 20

I almost always use walmart's PS sometimes Winn-Dixie's as well along with Sam's when I need to make a large cake. I might have to try out the Dollar General PS since I live decently close to one.

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 8:38am
post #17 of 20

Sorry to hear that your son got carjacked. I always worry about this when my daughter wants to wait in the car. I have worked for Target in management for 22 years and we have never had a problem like this. We would welcome your business. Try using C&H powdered sugar it's wonderful. If you can't find it make sure the package says pure sugar or you will actually be purchasing beet sugar and it doesn't taste the same as cane sugar.

retaunton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
retaunton Posted 18 Sep 2010 , 12:51am
post #18 of 20

I have always had problems with Walmart powder sugar. I only use name brand!

retaunton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
retaunton Posted 18 Sep 2010 , 12:51am
post #19 of 20

I have always had problems with Walmart powder sugar. I only use name brand!

KakeBear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KakeBear Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 4:18am
post #20 of 20

I am so glad to see that I am not the only one. I noticed that my frosting wasn't stiff enough, not crusting and turning greasy. I also noticed that there were two different prices for the 2lb bags. When I finally took the time to measure a bag it barely had over 6 cups but still weighed 2lbs. Something is definately not right with their PS.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%