Baking In Pyrex Bowled Failed, Turning Into A 911 Situation!

Decorating By JCE62108 Updated 1 Dec 2010 , 5:20am by JCE62108

DetailsByDawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DetailsByDawn Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 4:18pm
post #31 of 44

Just a tip - I can never get my baking strips to stay on my pyrex or wondermold pans. Instead, I use a waterbath - I fill up the next size up of my Pyrex with water 1/4 of the way, then place my prepared bowl into it and fill halfway with batter. No burnt edges. Takes a looooong time to bake, but comes out prefectly cooked and MOIST!!

BTW, I would try omitting at least 1 cup of sugar from the batch - all that extra sugar in the flavoured ingredients will more than make up for it. You probably won't even notice a difference in taste.

JCE62108 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JCE62108 Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 4:22pm
post #32 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by KristyDi

On the "too much sugar" thing. Since this recipe has so many ingredients that weren't meant to be ingredients, but to be eaten on their own, there could be a big variation in the amount of sugar different brands contain. So are you using the same brands you used in the past when the recipe worked for you?

I hope it works for you this time.

Uh....no. Good point. icon_eek.gif The orange sherbet I use varies depending on what store I go to. I usually use the cheapest brand, which a lot of times is the store brand. All the other ingrediants I use are always the same. I actually used just a hair less sugar in this batch. I dont know if that was a bad move, but I guess we'll find out in an hour or so. icon_smile.gif

Im so tempted to look in that darn oven. The window is spotless, btw. Its just so dark you cant see anything....I wonder if my oven has a light??? hmm...

JCE62108 Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 4:24pm
post #33 of 44

DDUUUUUUUUUUUUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Turn the light on, genius. lol! I told you, Im not a baker. Honestly, Im not a total ditz....just when it comes to cooking. Geez.

JCE62108 Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 4:26pm
post #34 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetailsByDawn

Just a tip - I can never get my baking strips to stay on my pyrex or wondermold pans. Instead, I use a waterbath - I fill up the next size up of my Pyrex with water 1/4 of the way, then place my prepared bowl into it and fill halfway with batter. No burnt edges. Takes a looooong time to bake, but comes out prefectly cooked and MOIST!!

huh. This tip sounds familiar. I wonder if someone told me before a long time ago and I decided not to for some reason? Thank you for that! Im taking notes to put in my recipe book. That's a neat idea.

JCE62108 Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 6:01pm
post #35 of 44

You guys, it turned out perfect. It didn't sink at all, the outsides are nice and soft and not overbaked, and the inside is baked perfectly.

It took about 2 hours, and I didnt open the oven at all until I could tell for sure that the cake was at least 90% done.

Thank you, thank you, thank you. I can move on now. thank goodness. icon_smile.gif

Mamatoboys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mamatoboys Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 8:57pm
post #36 of 44

I've been following this thread all day and just wanted to say "Congratulations!" I'm so glad that cake turned out for you icon_biggrin.gif

GL79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GL79 Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 9:57pm
post #37 of 44

One quick tip: Whenever I use Jello in my recipe I alway buy the good brand and sugar free.

KayMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 11:54pm
post #38 of 44

I read the whole thread, but didn't see exactly what you did to make it turn out so well at the end. I know you turned them temp down and didn't open the door so much. Is that it? And it worked? Or did you add the water bath?

JCE62108 Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 1:23am
post #39 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayMc

I read the whole thread, but didn't see exactly what you did to make it turn out so well at the end. I know you turned them temp down and didn't open the door so much. Is that it? And it worked? Or did you add the water bath?

Oh! I think I mentioned what I was going to do a few times, but its all so confusing I don't blame you!

-This time, I used a smaller bowl. This was a 8 or 10 cup bowl I believe. It was about half the size as the one I attempted to use yesterday.
-I put a rose nail in the bottom, although I had done this in previous attempts as well.
- I turned the temp down to 275
-I didn't open the oven door for at least 1.5 hours. Once I realized my oven had a light ( HEY! My old one didnt have one, so there.) then I could watch it easily and I know exactly what my cakes look like when they are almost done, so I didnt have to open the oven or take it out to look, which Im sure helped a lot.

I think the two things that solved my problems were turning the temp way, way down, and not opening the oven at all. This caused my cake to bake evenly all the way through, and it didnt sink in the middle one bit...even though apparently this recipe is notorious for that.

This is different from past attempts mostly because I always tried to bake it at the normal temp of 325, which caused the outside to burn and the inside to remain liquid. I never had issues with the sinking in the past though, and I do think that is because with my old oven I could see in it easily without the light...and silly me, I just moved into this place that has a different oven...and totally forgot that ovens usually have lights (ok, I feel really stupid about this one). So I opened it a few times last night and I think that is what caused it to sink.

GL79: There wasnt any jello in the recipe I used today. I think I will use diet orange soda in place of the oj jext time though, to cut back on the sugar. The recipe says you can use either.

Mamatoboys: LOL! Seriously. Im glad it did too. Honestly, once everyone gives their advice, and I sit and look at it, I just cant help sitting there thinking "DUH, of course that all makes sense". But if I'd have tried to figure it out on my own, I guarantee you I would probably keep struggling with it. I've learned a lot today with everyone's help. Thank you guys!!!

iamcakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iamcakin Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 1:37am
post #40 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCE62108

DDUUUUUUUUUUUUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Turn the light on, genius. lol!

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

So glad you were successful...your perseverance certainly paid off thumbs_up.gif .

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 1:46am
post #41 of 44

YAY! *jumping up and down in her seat for you* I'm sooo happy everything finally turned out! icon_biggrin.gif

not everyone is a baker..my mom certainly isn't, she would just rather decorate LOL icon_wink.gif

oh...i had to laugh icon_lol.gif when you realized you had a light. i was going to ask that earlier but shied away from doing so.

JCE62108 Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 1:52am
post #42 of 44

LOL!!!

josweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
josweets Posted 1 Dec 2010 , 5:08am
post #43 of 44

I just want to say THANK YOU to JCE62108 for starting this thread and everyone else for their replies! I came here last night frustrated because I, too, couldn't get my sphere cake cooked all the way through. So I searched the forum and found this thread....

I tried the cake again tonight following the advice offered here (use a rose nail, don't open the oven, turn the temp down and cook longer, etc) and VOILA! I now have a perfectly baked round ball! icon_biggrin.gif

Thank you all so very much!

JCE62108 Posted 1 Dec 2010 , 5:20am
post #44 of 44

YAY!!!! My failure helped someone! lol! Glad it worked for you, hon! I dont have problems anymore now either. icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%