Ahhh, Accidentally Used Bread Flour In Choc Wasc!

Decorating By divinecc Updated 15 Sep 2010 , 5:12am by divinecc

divinecc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
divinecc Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 10:27pm
post #1 of 11

Wow I am a moron, I clearly have my flour bins labeled but I was in a hurry and I just realized I used bread flour instead of AP! They are baking as I type icon_lol.gif , has anyone ever done this before? How do you think it will turn out? It's only on one layer I have two more to go, I will be freezing them....?

10 replies
divinecc Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 10:41pm
post #2 of 11

well the 6" just sank, I haven't even opened the oven door yet. icon_cry.gif

divinecc Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 11:13pm
post #3 of 11

ANYBODY? THE 8" LOOKS GREAT, SHOULD I REBAKE BECAUSE OF TEXTURE. ANYONE HAVE ANY ADVICE? icon_redface.gif

Ivy383 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ivy383 Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 11:33pm
post #4 of 11

Sorry, I wish I could help. Maybe you can taste the one that sank for texture? detective.gif

dpdavis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dpdavis Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 11:35pm
post #5 of 11

I used self rising flour by accident in a pound cake recipe that didn't call for any leavening and it made a huge mess in my oven when it overflowed. The texture was very soft and wouldn't hold up from what I needed so I had to rebake. Bread flour may not affect it too much. Just try it and see when it cools and you trim it.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 11:44pm
post #6 of 11

Don't rebake the 8" until you taste it. I would level it first, and see how the texture is when the cut-off crown cools. You might have just ended up with something dense, like a pound cake.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

divinecc Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 11:51pm
post #7 of 11

Thanks everyone, I am going to cut the 6" and see how it is when cooled! Hopefully I won't need to redo, that's what I get for rushing! icon_rolleyes.gif

hbarberycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbarberycakes Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 12:00am
post #8 of 11

can i ask what you do differently to make the chocolate? i've only done the original and i would LOVE to know how to make it chocolate icon_smile.gif

cakeythings1961 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeythings1961 Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 2:17am
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbarberycakes

can i ask what you do differently to make the chocolate? i've only done the original and i would LOVE to know how to make it chocolate icon_smile.gif

Me, too.

And how did the cake turn out? I almost did that once, too, so now I keep the bread flour on a high shelf!

divinecc Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 5:11am
post #10 of 11

The cake tasted fine to me! A little more dense but I like dense cakes so it works. The recipe is posted on CC somewhere, basically you use Dark Choc Fudge Cake Mix ( I use 1 box devils food and 1 box dark choc fudge) instead of white, 1/2 c veg oil instead of 1/4 c, 6 eggs instead of 8 whites, 1 tbs vanilla and 1 tbs instant coffee (dissolve in the water first) Use all other ingredients the same as the white WASC. It's really good, I love it! BTW, you can't taste the coffee in it once baked.

divinecc Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 5:12am
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by divinecc

The cake tasted fine to me! A little more dense but I like dense cakes so it works. The recipe is posted on CC somewhere, basically you use Dark Choc Fudge Cake Mix ( I use 1 box devils food and 1 box dark choc fudge) instead of white, 1/2 c veg oil instead of 1/4 c, 6 eggs instead of 8 whites, 1 tbs vanilla and 1 tbs instant coffee (dissolve in the water first) Use all other ingredients the same as the white WASC. It's really good, I love it! BTW, you can't taste the coffee in it once baked.

Oh yeah, you DO NOT use almond extract icon_razz.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%