Can I Prepare My Decorated Fondant A Week In Advance?

Decorating By kelseyymarie Updated 14 Sep 2010 , 6:32pm by icer101

kelseyymarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelseyymarie Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 5:48pm
post #1 of 5

I'm making a cake for a local college that is to be delivered on Monday morning, but i have a busy week and weekend ahead of me.. im doing a wood texture on the bottom part of my cake so i was wondering -

Its Tuesday today, can i roll out my fondant, press the impression sheet on it to get the texture i want then let it sit until Sunday when i assemble my cake, or will it be rock hard? Would refridgerating it help? Would i have to store it air-tight?

Please help! Todays my only completely free day until Saturday night and Sunday!!

4 replies
Malakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Malakin Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 5:55pm
post #2 of 5

What I would try is leaving it on my Ateco mat after I roll it out and impression it and then cover it with saran wrap to where no air gets in. Might work. I would think, just like staying in a ziploc bag that if no air gets to it, it should stay moist and soft.

HG0265 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HG0265 Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 6:07pm
post #3 of 5

I'm not an expert but fruit cakes covered with fondant seem to be alright for a long time!!!!!

kimbordeaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimbordeaux Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 6:20pm
post #4 of 5

If you can wrap them in saran wrap and place them in a ziplock baggie they should be okay. I have not had any dry out doing this. I wouldn't paint them because paint is not going to dry. Doing the impressions on them should be fine.

~Kim

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 6:32pm
post #5 of 5

hi, linda mcclure(cricut lady) cuts her gumpaste deco's out way in advance, stores in freezer until she needs them. Place on a board , place in 2 gallon freezer bags and store. hth

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%